A special education assistant helps the lead teacher in the classroom by tutoring, monitoring, and supervising students, and provides secretarial assistance.
They act as a communication source between teachers, students, and parents.
Special education assistants work in diverse settings such as childcare and community centers, elementary, middle, and secondary schools.
As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of special education teaching assistants is projected to grow 8 percent from 2020 to 2030.
Special Education Assistant Resume Writing Tips
– In your resume for the special education assistant position – while you have less or no experience in hand – provide sufficient proof that you can communicate effectively with special needs students.
– Start your resume with a compelling objective or performance statement.
– Write your core competencies. Mention 3-5 of your most exceptional skills in bullet form.
– Mention any relevant experience and your educational background.
Here is an example:
Related: Special Education Assistant Cover Letter Sample
Sample Special Education Assistant Resume Example (Less or No Experience)
25 9th Avenue, Elk River, MN 52654
Special Education Assistant
Eager to work one-on-one with students with special needs
• Over 6 months of hands-on experience working with children with special needs.
• Highly skilled in perceiving the needs of children and managing their activities.
• Proven record of assisting lead teacher in imparting instructions, helping students, and correcting tests.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with minimum supervision.
• Able to transfer or restrain students physically.
• Comprehensive knowledge of maintaining exact and timely records to support individual educational plans.
• Substantial understanding of sign languages (SEE, PSE, and ASL.)
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
• Office machines handling
• School district policies and state and federal laws
• MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Willing to work overtime including evenings, weekends, and holidays
Special Education Aide
ABC SCHOOL, Elk River, MN
5/2021 – 9/2021
• Tutored special needs students and assisted them in behavior management.
• Monitored students in regular classes and facilitated communication between the special education teacher and mainstream teachers.
• Maintained the privacy of family and program information.
• Provided First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) when needed.
• Reinforced language concepts and skills already taught by the teacher.
ABC AREA SCHOOL, Elk River, MN
2/2020 – 5/2021
• Facilitated contact between teachers and students through the use of sign language.
• Performed general clerical and record-keeping duties.
• Supervised special education students in the area outside the classroom.
• Attended meetings with parents.
Associate of Arts in Education
Elk Community College, Elk River, MN
Concentration: Special Education
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)