A good resume for Administrative Assistant position can sell you better over your competitors. It should be written in a way that create curiosity and force the hiring manager to call or email you immediately for an interview. Otherwise, the recruiter skims your resume, thinks, “Yeah, this person might be a good fit, but….. NO” and then moves on the next resume – after throwing your resume in the trash.
The first section of your administrative assistant resume that usually grabs the attention of recruiter is your career objective. If it is targeted and well-crafted, the reader would definitely like to read the rest of your resume. On the other hand, if your objective is weak or generic, the rest of the resume cannot make up for it.
Do you need an objective statement?
There are many schools of thought which are in favor and others are against the use of an objective statement. In our opinion, it is good to use an objective statement describing your career goals and aspirations in the very first sentence of your resume. Alternately, an Administrative Assistant’s Resume Profile or Career Summary can be used, but it will not tell the reader about your enthusiasm to work specifically for them.
Administrative Assistant Objective Tips
● Start your objective statement with powerful words such as enthusiastic, reliable and results-driven.
● Make it specific – say accurately what you want to achieve in clear words.
● Use simple language to describe your enthusiasm to work for prospective company.
● Make an action-oriented objective
● Write your career objective in an active rather than passive voice.
● Focus on your 2-3 key skills and tell them how you would be able to contribute to their mission utilizing your skills.
● Do not use “I”, “my” or “me” in your objective
● Visionary and results-driven Administrative Assistant seeking a position at George Mason University utilizing exceptional secretarial skills and highly organized approach to improve the overall efficiency of institution.
● Self-directed, resourceful and passionate administrative professional looking for a position as an Administrative Assistant with the Union Hospital of Cecil County. Bringing 6+ years’ successful track record in clerical work, problem solving, time management and communication to provide effective support to office.
● Dynamic and organized professional desire an Administrative Assistant position with Dane Foods using great attention to detail and office management expertise to support executives and build a loyal client base.
● To obtain the position as an Administrative Assistant with ABC Company. Bringing a positive attitude, organized approach, excellent time management skills and a desire to succeed in a fast-paced environment to make a difference in the office administrative procedures.
● To work as an Administrative Assistant for Northern Virginia Community College. Offers exceptional clerical abilities, strong attention to detail and great proficiency in MS Office Suite.
● Seeking an Administrative Assistant position making the most of extensive experience in office management, communication, record-keeping and accounting to contribute to the success of prospective employer.