A General Clerk performs different clerical duties, such as sorting and filing mail, cards, invoices, receipts or other records. They are responsible for collecting information for particular report formats, maintaining files, making and checking calculations, posting data into computer system, compiling statistical data, preparing and sorting correspondence, completing forms and checking for accurateness, answering phone calls and customer queries and typing.
In order to become eligible for this position, you need a high school diploma, GED or equivalent education. Average computer skills and some relevant experience will be a plus.
General Clerk Resume Writing Tips and Guidelines
The information in your resume should be presented in a way that best emphasize your skills and abilities. When writing your resume, focus on three important components; relevance, self-promotion, and visual attraction. Each of these elements can be found in the following example. Also, use this General Clerk Cover Letter to support your resume.
68 Example 9th Avenue, Edinburgh, IN 65221
Contact #, Email Address
SUMMARY: Over 6 years’ progressively responsible administrative experience. Highly skilled in preparing and managing office correspondence, reports and documents, and operating office equipment. Demonstrated ability to work in a fact paced environment.
• Extremely proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Proven customer service acumen
• Typing Speed – 50 words / min
• Bilingual – English and Spanish
Strategic Resources, Inc. – Edinburgh, IN | Dec 2011 – Present
• Perform different clerical tasks to support the office
• Answer telephone and email, and take messages and forward calls to employees
• Sort correspondence and logs or place time stamp on incoming and outgoing mail for tracking
• Validate data by direct matching with original source material
• Organize and arrange items in subject or chronological order
• Perform typing and data entry tasks
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co – Houston, TX | Mar 2011 – Dec 2011
• Implemented and maintained office systems
• Maintained filing and correspondence systems
• Maintained databases
• Communicated and answered inquiries and provided information
• Answered phone and forward calls
• Maintained workers’ and correspondence confidentiality
[Mention non-relevant experiences here – one line per experience in a bullet form and past tense]
Diploma | Houston High School – Houston, TX | 2005