Sous chefs hold the second most important position in a kitchen, the first being that of a head chef. They report directly to the chef; sous chefs are required to oversee the operations of a kitchen. It is up to them to make sure that food preparation is done properly and that food planning and production activities are managed effectively.
It is important for sous chefs to follow standard operating procedures (SOPs) to ensure food quality. It is also imperative for them to understand standards of hygiene and sanitation as it is up to them to ensure that both these things are maintained in their kitchens.
The physical demands of this position are great; you have to stand on your feet for long periods of time and you will be exposed to extreme temperatures. This is why it is important for sous chefs to be physically agile. To be eligible for this position, you need to possess a high school diploma at the very least and complete a culinary or apprenticeship program.
As a “second-in-command”, it is up to you to make sure that the kitchen runs efficiently. Working as a sous chef means that you will be performing some or all of the duties below:
Sample Job Description for Sous Chef Resume
• Ensure smooth operations of the kitchen especially in the absence of the head chef
• Handle food purchasing and storage activities
• Ensure a safe and hygienic kitchen environment by following standard operation procedures
• Oversee the work of kitchen staff such as preparation and marinating activities
• Assist head chef in menu planning and recipe creation activities
• Train kitchen staff in controlling ingredient use
• Carry out inventory control duties and make sure high standards of food safety
• Schedule kitchen staff’s duties and ensure that sufficient staff is available at all times
• Supervise the work of kitchen staff and provide input where needed
• Work with the head chef to understand current restaurant trends
• Ensure that quality and cost standards are maintained constantly
• Assist in interviewing, hiring and training kitchen staff
• Act as a bridge between kitchen staff and customers
• Work as an auxiliary chef during times of staff shortage
• Ensure that kitchen employees adhere to uniforms and grooming standards
• Be responsive to staff suggestions and undertake tasks to ensure customer satisfaction
• Conduct regular inspections to ensure that the kitchen, washing areas and equipment are clean and in good working order