Administration is a wide term used to describe all the activities that are needed to be performed within an office to run it smoothly. An administrative assistant position requires an individual to be a jack-of-all-trades because there is so much that this umbrella covers. While a lot of other designations provide administrative services within an organization, administrative assistants are specialized people to perform these specific tasks. Ideally, an administrative assistant provides support to an office by utilizing his/her skills and capabilities for a smooth flow of operations.
The skills required to be a successful administrative assistant resume are many and diverse. Proficiency in office administration and book keeping activities is an absolute must along with pertinent knowledge of committee systems. In addition, an administrative assistant needs to possess the ability to maintain accuracy and secrecy of all records under his or her management. Since this position depends largely on creating and maintaining effective liaison with all other departments within an organization, excellent interpersonal and team building skills are an absolute must. As there are some report generation and writing activities involved, an administrative assistant needs to possess well honed typing and research skills. Some organizations require people at this position to work as payroll assistants as well.
Here is a list of other important skill phrases and statements that an administrative assistant needs to demonstrate in the skills, qualifications or strengths section of her resume:
Sample Skills for Administrative Assistant Resume
• Highly skilled in performing general office tasks including bookkeeping, filing, and records management.
• Able to handle incoming calls and route them to the appropriate employee.
• Adept at using fax machines, video-conferencing, projectors and other automated equipment.
• Well-versed in arranging meetings and taking minutes of meetings.
• In-depth knowledge of keyboarding and computers; calendaring and scheduling programs including Lotus Notes and Microsoft Office Suite.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Track record of managing front desk activities within a busy environment
• Demonstrated ability to work efficiently in stressful hours.
• Bilingual – Ability to speak in English and Spanish.
• Proven ability to analyze, evaluate and recommend administrative functions and services to promote success.
• Exceptional time management and problem-solving skills.
• Proven record of working accurately and independently with close attention to detail.
• Proven ability to maintain secrecy of sensitive information.
• Able to work with associates, vendors and the clients capably and tactfully.
This is a broad list of skills that are required for administrative assistant position. Remember, relevant skills of administrative assistant might vary from one workplace to another, so you need to tailor your resume skills section as per employer’s requirements.