Occupational therapists create individually placed treatment plans for patients (injured, ill, or disabled) that need rehabilitation through the therapeutic use of everyday activities.
This may include counseling and developing, recovering, and improving the skills required for daily work, as well as providing suggestions to change the environment and live a healthy or near-normal life.
A resume written by an occupational therapist needs to include information in logically arranged sections.
A well-written occupational therapist resume can do wonders for your chances to be called in for an interview.
How to Write a Great Resume for an Occupational Therapist Position?
- Start your occupational therapist resume either with an objective or summary statement.
- Include your key accomplishments along with job duties under each job title in the experience section.
- Use past participle for previous experiences and present participle for current experiences.
- Give information about your education and training.
- The length of your resume should be one page for entry-level and less experienced candidates. Two pages for experienced candidates.
- Proofread at least three times for any spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Print on a high-quality resume paper. If sending an Email, attach as a PDF document.
- Don’t misrepresent yourself: Be honest – never lie.
- Send an occupational therapist cover letter along with your resume.
Here is an example for you to get ideas from.
Sample Resume for Occupational Therapist Position
23 Sardis Road, Charlotte, NC 66732
Results-oriented and passionate Occupational Therapist with 17 years of experience in assessing patients and interpreting core evaluations to determine the nature of illness or dysfunction. Strong background in planning and imparting care plans based on individual patients’ needs. Ability to establish a treatment plan for patients, and identify activities and specific goals to be accomplished. Adept at using observations, answers, and remedial history to assess the patient’s condition and needs.
LICENSURE & AFFILIATIONS
• Licensed from the state of North Carolina
• Affiliated with the American Occupational Therapy Association
• Neurodevelopment Techniques
• Bloodborne Pathogens
• Pre-fabricated Splinting
• Adaptive Equipment
• First Aid and CPR
• MMT and ADL
Therapy Management Corporation, Charlotte, NC
2015 – Present
• Screen and evaluate patients per physician’s evaluation.
• Establish and implement individually designed care plans for patients.
• Instruct patients and families in the appropriate use of equipment to aid physical dysfunctions.
• Suggest skills that will aid patients with reacquiring lost skills.
• Plan and conduct occupational therapy programs.
• Recommend changes in patients’ living environment to accommodate their disability.
• Successfully designed and implemented a mass rehabilitation program encompassing patients with both mental and social disabilities.
• Conducted a series of seminars on mental and social health rehabilitation at the Hilton between the years 2019 and 2021.
Occupational Therapy Assistant
Hallmark Rehabilitation, San Gabriel, CA
2005 – 2015
• Provided therapy services to patients following individual treatment plans.
• Assisted in performing therapeutic exercises to help with patient mobility.
• Provided education to patients and their families on patient issues and their resolution.
• Assisted the occupational therapist with devising and imparting care plans.
• Trained patients in the proper use of therapy equipment.
• Wrote a paper on Social Occupational Therapy published in Therapy Today.
• Trained two groups of new hires as occupational therapy assistants.
Masters of Science in Occupational Therapy
STATE UNIVERSITY, San Gabriel, CA
• Occupational therapy equipment training to facilitate rehabilitation
• Suggesting home and vehicle modification techniques
• Knowledge of using prosthetic and orthotic devices
• Excellent knowledge of medical technology
• Efficient verbal and written communication skills