HVAC technicians install and maintain heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems. They are hired by maintenance companies where their services are hired out. Many HVAC technicians also work in large companies that have high maintenance needs.
HVAC technicians use different tools and equipment to assist them in installation and maintenance work. They also troubleshoot problems with complex systems and ensure that everything is running smoothly. A major part of their work is preventative maintenance which they are required to perform on a regular basis.
When a building is being constructed, construction foremen confer with HVAC technicians in order to design buildings so that HVAC systems can be accommodated properly.
HVAC technicians install pipes and wires at the time of construction and ensure that they are in proper working order. Once a building is constructed, it is the duty of an HVAC technician to ensure that any hitches in the systems are diagnosed and troubleshot before the system is set to run.
Both homes and businesses hire the services of HVAC technicians. While they perform different duties in different types of environments, the essence of their work remains the same.
Sample Job Description for HVAC Technician Resume
• Install and maintain diverse heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems
• Layout wires and pipes to complete HVAC systems
• Perform general and preventative maintenance on HVAC systems
• Ensure that all installations are done in accordance with the set standards
• Make sure that any loose wires are connected and secured properly
• Ensure calibration of thermostats and other controls
• Perform checks on motors and belts and handle lubrication duties
• Change filters and replace any parts as they wear out
• Repair motors and service steam and hot water boilers
• Ensure that chemical compositions in equipment are adequate at all times
• Handle conduit running for HVAC equipment
• Order any supplies or equipment needed for HVAC maintenance or installation as needed
• Ensure availability of all items needed for an HVAC project
• Respond to emergency situations in order to resolve issues on an immediate basis
• Handle maintenance of tools and equipment
• Replace faulty or expired parts in an HVAC system
• Fabricate parts in case parts are not readily available
• Determine the need for upgrading HVAC systems and take measures to take necessary actions