Teaching a regular class is a quite challenging job – and teaching a special education class is even more so. To meet the demands of a class of students with special needs, special educators are hired by institutes.
These people are trained in handling the social, cognitive, and academic needs of students with physical or mental disabilities.
They chart out the individually based curriculum to handle these needs and also develop lesson plans to ensure that each student is educated by providing individual attention.
Special educators may be trained to handle toddlers and infants, elementary or high school students, or even adults.
Most special education training is provided to people who manage young students.
They need to have a degree in special education and lots of patience to be able to work well in this position.
The following resume sample will give you an idea of how you can write one when applying for this position.
Related: Special Educator Cover Letter
Special Educator Resume Example
600 Forest Ct, Gary, IN 46012
Goal-oriented individual with an extensive background in age-appropriate curriculum and lesson plan development for students with special needs. Well-versed in handling adverse situations and ensuring that the educational setting is fun, safe, and conducive to social, cognitive, physical, and psychological development. Possess IN state licensure in Special Education.
• Introduced a proactive plan aimed at changing the lives of students with special needs on a fundamental basis
• Implemented a student evaluation program based on data taken from each student’s medical histories to provide fair evaluations
• Coordinated the efforts of speech therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and special educators to create and implement effective student-ready programs
• Wrote a book titled ‘Especially Yours’ based on a true-life event of a former student of the Institute
Sunshine – Gary, IN | 2019 – Present
• Plan, create, and implement special education curriculum.
• Prepare daily lesson plans according to each student’s physical and cognitive ability.
• Encourage students to take part in limited physical activities.
• Assist students with specific disabilities on an individual basis.
• Promote learning using individualized instruction and problem-solving assignments.
• Engage students in group talk and circle time to help boost self-confidence.
• Evaluate students using predesigned evaluation modules.
• Provide progress reports to parents and answer queries.
Paraprofessional – Special Education
Little Stars – Gary, IN | 2012 – 2019
• Assisted in carrying out lessons following the curriculum.
• Handled students with special needs by providing them assistance with eating and toileting.
• Managed classroom behavior and ensured that no unsavory act is prevalent.
• Assisted in procuring learning aides and resources for students with special education needs.
• Provided support for checking and grading assignments and making evaluation reports.
• Recorded student data in the pre-designated database.
BS Degree in Education
Indiana State University, Gary, IN – 2011
– Curriculum planning
– Staff consultation
– Record keeping- Students’ evaluation
– Direct service
– Individual and group planning
– Special education coordination
– Individual education programs (IEP)