Writing an effective resume for a secretary position is a daunting task, and not everyone can create a compelling resume.
Even though resume writing is difficult, it is a mandatory document that should be submitted with every job application.
How to Write a Great Resume for Secretary Position?
- Start your resume with a convincing objective or summary statement.
- Exclude any irrelevant experience and qualifications.
- Keep your resume clear and concise to make a positive impression.
- There should be no spelling or grammar mistakes in your resume.
- Keep a balance between content and white space.
Here are 3 great resume examples for the secretary position based on the level of experience.
Secretary Resume Sample 1
Experience: 15+ Years
765 Central Avenue
Glendale, AZ 83292
❖❖ SECRETARY ❖❖
Poised to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
Detail-oriented Secretary with 15 years of successful track record of working above and beyond the call of duty. A dependable and resourceful individual who has a demonstrated ability to work efficiently under minimum supervision. Exceptional time management, task prioritization, and meeting coordination skills. Bilingual: English/Spanish.
ABC Company, Glendale, AZ
2012 – Present
• Prepare and organize all paperwork for meetings and conferences.
• Arrange travels for delegates and executives.
• Maintain calendar and diary and set appointments for meetings.
• Serve as liaison between employees and management.
• Forward and process customer complaints professionally.
• Draft weekly operation reports, and submit the same to senior management
Key Results and Achievements
• Enhanced employee productivity by 20% through the implementation of effective SOPs for daily operations.
• Reduced mail processing time by 10 minutes on average by implementing a fast, semi-automated mail sorting software.
AAA Insurance, Glendale, AZ
2006 – 2012
• Received and distributed correspondence promptly.
• Answered telephone calls and scheduled appointments.
• Replenished office supplies and stationery as needed.
• Maintained all files
• Ensured employee and client data were neatly organized and archived in the office.
• Managed online database and updated client and employee information regularly.
• Took meeting minutes and coordinated interdepartmental communications.
Key Results and Achievements
• Organized an international conference comprising 200+ participants single-handedly, making excellent stay and travel arrangements for all delegates and speakers.
Associate of Arts Degree in Office Management
Community College, Glendale, AZ – 2005
CORE SECRETARIAL COMPETENCIES
• Greeting Visitors • Answering Phone
• Database Management • Departmental Coordination
• Calendar Keeping • Office Assistance
• Administrative Support • Liaison
• Reception Handling • Stay/Travel Arrangements
• Appointment Scheduling • Correspondence Handling
• Word, Excel Spreadsheets, MS Access, Outlook
• PowerPoint Presentations
• Typing speed 60 wpm
• SAP and ERP
Secretary Resume Sample 2
Experience: 10+ Years
7330 Lowell Lane
Middletown, DE 19708
gina.ful @ email . com
Extremely motivated and well-organized Secretary with 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in the administrative and secretarial arena. Acknowledged for talents in creating and maintaining a systematized office. A competent individual who can efficiently manage calendars, schedule appointments, transcribe dictation, and maintain files. Bilingual: English/Spanish.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Telephone Handling • Word Processing
• Correspondence Management • Scheduling
• Travel Arrangements • Workload Prioritizing
• External Liaison • Expense Documentation
• Inventory Control • Customer Service
• File Systems Control • Spreadsheet Management
• Decreased overhead costs by 35000$ by suggesting the use of alternative energy resources for the company.
• Devised a filing system that increased information retrieval efficiency by a staggering 20%.
• Created liaison with an economical traveling company, reducing travel costs for staff members by $4000 per month without compromising on travel quality.
USAID, Middletown, DE
May 2019 – Present
• Devise and maintain filing and inventory systems by following standards set by the company.
• Perform scheduling duties according to specific instructions provided by executives.
• Manage executives’ traveling arrangements by contacting air ticket dealers and hotels.
• Respond to inquiries over the telephone, email, and in-person by staying within the confidentiality parameters of the company.
AA Company, Middletown, DE
Jan 2017 – May 2019
• Received incoming mail, sorted it, and distributed it to intended recipients.
• Ordered and maintained office supplies such as stationery and equipment.
• Organized and stored paperwork and computer-based information in a safe and confidential manner.
• Made arrangements for meetings and seminars by following set instructions provided by executive units.
Front Desk Representative
Stock Yards, Middletown, DE
Aug 2012 – Jan 2016
• Greeted customers and visitors and provided them with information regarding the company and its services
• Responded to telephone calls by providing information and transferring them to the required person within the company
• Scheduled meetings and appointments and handled associated follow-up duties
• Created and maintained inventory of office supplies and equipment such as stationery, photocopiers, and scanners
50 Hours of Training in Office Management and Executive Support
Community College, Middletown, DE
High School Diploma
Middletown High School, Middletown, DE – 2003
• MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Typing Speed: 45 WPM with accuracy
Secretary Skills Resume Sample 3
Experience: 5+ Years
17 Maryland Avenue
Deer Lodge, MT 44443
A resourceful and accomplished individual with 5+ years of comprehensive secretarial experience in fast-paced environments. Diverse tier-one customer service, communication and clerical skills. Able to provide administrative support activities compliant with the department’s mission and procedures.
CORE COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook Calendars
• Digital PABX
• Popular computer software
• Typing Speed: 50 WPM
• Proven customer service and organizational skills
• Able to answer telephone calls and greet visitors efficiently
• Knowledge of business principles
• Ability to work independently
• Knowledge of information and communication management
• Excellent team-building and bookkeeping skills
• Detail oriented; able to multi-task
• Great attention to detail
• Preparing and proofreading reports and forms
• Bilingual – English, and Spanish
Edge IT Services, Deer Lodge, MT
Dec 2018 – Present
• Examine correspondence and reply as instructed.
• Receive telephone calls and direct them as and where necessary.
• Arrange conferences and meetings along with travel arrangements.
• Maintain schedules and follow-ups.
• Organize events both internally and externally.
• Maintain filing and inventory procedures.
• Direct visitors to appropriate staff members.
• Respond to public inquiries.
• Achieved “Employee of the Month” award three times for providing excellent secretarial services pertaining to managing calendars effectively.
• Reorganized the filing system by maintaining the same in databases instead of manually, boosting efficiency by 40%.
AA Rehab Center – Souderton, PA
Aug 2017 – Dec 2020
• Performed difficult, varied, and confidential administrative duties.
• Prepared letters for administrators and staff.
• Collected, compiled, arranged, and retained reports, records, files, and data.
• Screened telephone calls and guests and resolved routine and multifaceted inquiries.
Diploma in Office Management
ABC College, Souderton, PA
Secretary Duties and Responsibilities
The following is a list of common secretary job description statements. You can use these phrases in the experience or work history section of your resume.
- Maintain executives’ calendars and ensure that all appointments and meetings are properly followed up on.
- Devise and maintain office systems and manage and maintain budget systems.
- Respond to inquiries over the telephone and handle scheduling duties.
- Perform transcribing, formatting, inputting, and editing work to produce the required information.
- Maintain office supplies inventory and create and maintain liaison with vendors and suppliers to ensure consistent supply.
- Operate and maintain office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, printers, and scanners.
- Handle executives’ room booking and travel arrangements by actively seeking out good deals.
- Receive and sort mail and ensure that it is routed to the correct recipients.
- Draft letters and other correspondence such as notices and memos using word processing software.
- Develop filing systems and ensure that they are maintained on a constant basis.
- Document all expenses made, especially petty cash entries, and ensure that expenses remain within the confines of set budgets.
- Arrange for outgoing mail to be delivered to or picked up by couriers and ensure that receipts are obtained and secured.
- Assist in planning events by coordinating all aspects such as catering, venue, and promotional activities.
Secretary Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities
If you are applying for a secretary’s position, your resume should positively show how good you are at your work. The essence of the skills section of your resume should revolve around your leadership abilities, creativity, and clerical skills.
Some skills that you can mention in your secretary resume include:
- Highly skilled in managing schedules and appointments to meet the demands of both ends.
- Able to perform filing, bookkeeping, and record management tasks efficiently and timely.
- Well-versed with standard office protocols and practices.
- Substantial knowledge of managing clients’ queries to ensure recurring business.
- Exceptional talent for taking the initiative when dealing with new situations.
- Recognized for handling core office correspondence by employing expertise in written communication skills.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills aimed at creating an informational bridge between different departments.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Talented in handling office work with accuracy and on time.
- Demonstrated administrative and clerical acumen to run smooth office operations.
- Able to respond appropriately to customers and coworkers by exercising tact.
- Sound judgment to understand the level of information.
- Familiar with popular technological tools such as spreadsheets, word processing software, the internet, and email.
- Well-versed in handling accounting activities by using electronic bookkeeping software such as Peachtree and Access.
- Professional attitude and neat appearance.
- Handles antagonistic situations with patience and tact.
- Ability to downplay adversities during office hours.
Secretary Job Requirements
To be eligible to work as a secretary, you have to possess a high school diploma at the very least. If you have additional academic qualifications, well, they are always welcome!
Additionally, you must possess an organized mind and the ability to multitask. Creating and maintaining filing systems will be part of your daily work as will be keeping diaries and arranging appointments.
See also: Secretary Resume No Experience