Medical secretaries work at hospitals, clinics, and group practices in an administrative role. They are expected to manage the front desk and handle all kinds of secretarial, administrative, and clerical work that is part of this position.
The foremost work duty of a medical secretary is to provide first contact services for the facility that she is working for. A medical secretary will usually be the first person a patient will see which is why she needs to ensure that she maintains and projects a good impression.
In order to apply for a position as a medical secretary with any healthcare organization, you have to craft a resume by using bullet points of your transferable skills, experiences, and competencies.
A medical secretary’s resume is typically an overview of a job seeker’s educational and professional background.
Below are some guidelines which will help you build a good resume for the medical secretary position:
- Start your resume with a compelling summary statement. Less experienced candidates can use a career objective instead.
- Write your accomplishments and job duties.
- Make sure that the education section comes after the experience section.
- Organize the content of your resume into short but understandable bullet fragments.
See also: Medical Secretary Cover Letter
Medical Secretary Resume Sample 1
Experience: 10+ Years
3110 Garden Ave
Columbus, OH 67883
Service-driven Medical Secretary with 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in front desk handling and office management within healthcare settings. Proficient in physician assisting and patient coordination. Functional knowledge of electronic medical record keeping. Well-versed with ICD-9 coding protocols.
• Track record of consistently enhancing the level of patient satisfaction.
• Adept at greeting patients and scheduling appointments.
• Effective skills in history-taking and compiling patient data and information.
– Coding and Billing – Database Management
– Record Keeping – Doctor Coordination
– Pre-Service Instructions – Information Gathering
– Query Response – Appointment Scheduling
– Patient Preparation – Insurance Claims
– Front Desk Handling – Procedure Assistance
• Initiated and installed a new and faster database software and transferred patient data successfully enhancing overall storage by 100%.
• Deployed an ingenious interactive board-based interdepartmental communication system that reduced appointment overlapping by 75%.
• Attained the most dedicated employee award in 2021.
NORTHWEST HOSPITAL, Columbus, OH
9/2015 – Present
• Respond to patient queries in person and on the phone
• Explain treatment plans to patients
• Schedule follow-up visits and first-time appointments
• Maintain patient database updated and take the detailed history of new patients
HEAL HOSPITAL, Columbus, OH
4/2012 – 8/2015
• Greeted walk-in and scheduled patients
• Checked and coordinated doctor availability
• Guided the patients to the relevant departments
• Maintained the reception area in good order
Community College, Columbus, OH – 2007
Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
• Bilingual: English and Spanish
• Ability to work in fast-paced healthcare settings
Medical Secretary Resume Sample 2
Experience: 5+ Years
76 Sunrise Lane
Ocean View, DE 72430
(952) 978-9009, Email
Exceptional clerical and administrative skills along with proficiency in medical terminology to orchestrate a smooth flow of office operations.
• 5 years of practical and applied experience in the clinical environment
• Highly skilled in providing administrative support to clinicians
• Proven ability to type and proofread technical papers and manuscripts
• Hands-on experience in assisting patients with medical procedures and related issues
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Transcription • Filing
• Scheduling • Equipment Ordering
• Records Maintenance • Reception Management
• Data retrieval • Equipment usage
• Physician Assistance
• Strong word processing skills
• In-depth knowledge of spreadsheets
• Insurance billing procedures
• Able to be trained in CPT and ICD9 coding
Cecilia Healthcare – Ocean View, DE
Sep 2020 – Present
• Schedule patients for appointments and procedures
• Take the detailed patient information and record it in the database
• Acquire insurance authorizations
• Maintain the logging system
• Assisted doctors with writing a medical paper on Bone Deformation by managing scripting and proofreading for them
• Managed dissemination of trained medical secretaries for the clinic’s newly opened offices in three states
Glazier Healthcare – Ocean View, DE
Feb 2017 – Sep 2020
• Maintained medical charts as and when required
• Prepared correspondence
• Managed incoming and outgoing mail
• Took and recorded patients’ vital signs
• Compiled the documents for billing procedures
Ocean View City College, Ocean View, DE – 2012
Associate’s Degree in Medical Administration
Delaware State Certified Medical Assistant
Medical Secretary Resume Sample 3
Experience: 2+ Years
8-63 Atlantic Heights
Edmonton, AB S9R 6E9
Highly competent and accomplished professional with a demonstrated ability to perform medical and clerical tasks effectively while delivering outstanding customer service in busy Medical settings. Strong capability of staying organized under pressure. Natural aptitude to put residents in comfort, work in a team, and keep up to date with a doctor’s busy record. Able to deal with consultants and other senior medical staff.
• Greeting patients • Medical terminology
• Entering patient charges • Secretarial tasks
• Diary maintenance • Confidentiality
• Communication • Answering telephones
• Schedule appointments • Data collection
• Filing patient charts • Legal implications
• Records management • Organization
Lakeridge Hospital, Edmonton, AB
2017 – Present
• Interview patients so as to complete forms, documents, and case histories
• Supervise and train staff
• Prepare, punch, edit, and proofread medical records
• Maintain confidential medical files and records
• Schedule and corroborate medical appointments
• Arrange financial statements and billing procedures
• Order supplies and maintain inventory
• Determine and set up office procedures and routines
Medical Office Management Certification
ABC College, Edmonton, AB
Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration
Ryerson College, Edmonton, AB
• MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Fax, internet, and Email
• Typing – 60 wpm
• A warm and patient manner
• Sensitive approach
• Professional and calm approach
Medical Secretary Job Description for Resume
The following job description statements will help you write the “Professional Experience”, “Employment History,” or “Work History” section of your resume.
• Greeted patients, families, and visitors
• Updated patient’s demographic and insurance information
• Answered and screened incoming phone calls
• Obtained comprehensive information and took correct written messages
• Directed calls to suitable persons with minimal transfers
• Responded to common questions concerning the practice, health insurance coverage, and billing procedures
• Verified patient eligibility
• Performed basic patient care activities
• Screened mail and prepared correspondence
• Maintained calendar
• Assisted with physician’s and staff travel arrangements and setting up meetings
• Completed patients’ registration
• Arranged appointments for diagnostic tests
• Obtained pre-certification for services with insurance companies
• Handled requests from patients for prescription refills
• Ensured customer service excellence at the facility
Medical Secretary Resume Skills for Resume
The following skills statements will help you in writing the skills and qualifications section of your resume.
• Demonstrated ability to provide secretarial and clerical support for physician’s office
• Good knowledge of medical terminology
• In-depth knowledge of common office practices, procedures, and equipment
• Familiar with business English, spelling, punctuation grammar, and arithmetic
• Highly skilled in using a range of office software applications including; word processing, excel, presentation packages, and databases applications to create documents
• Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Track record of communicating effectively both orally and in writing
• Well-versed in proofing office correspondence and forms for typographical errors, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
• Skilled in performing basic arithmetic calculations
• Adept at alphabetical and numeric filing