People are interested in volunteer positions for various reasons. Students take up such positions to gain experience in their field of interest. Retired or laid off employees do so to broaden their professional horizon while some people perform volunteer services just to fill in their spare hours.
Objective statements are continued to be the opening section of volunteer or entry level resumes till date. An objective statement on your volunteer resume must demonstrate immediate value. Since this is the first thing potential employer will learn about you, try to make it meaningful. State the crux of what you offer in the field.
A well drafted volunteer resume objective should clearly state the exact position being sought. It is also important to mention the word volunteer in your objective since it serves as a keyword when employers search up volunteer resumes on the web. In addition to mentioning the type of work you are seeking, it is of equal importance to mention some of your capabilities that you believe could come in handy at work. In this way your objective statement will become more like an offer statement which would carry more meaning for the employer, enhancing your chances of being selected.
Following are some volunteer objective examples for your guidance. These can be used for your volunteer resume with some changes and variations suiting the organization you plan to volunteer at.
For Advertised Positions
Building a resume objective for an advertised volunteer position is slightly different from that of an unadvertised post. If the position has been advertised, you know the exact title of the position and you can directly target the same.
• To attain the position of community volunteer with XYZ Company. Certified in first aid and CPR. Particularly effective in personnel management.
• Seeking the position of volunteer office assistant at ABC Company where skills in file cataloguing, front desk handling and calendar keeping could come in handy to contribute to the mission of company.
• Striving for the position of volunteer research associate at the State University. Bringing expertise in data collection and analysis for enhancement of the research cell.
For Unadvertised Positions
In case the position is not advertised, you need to put some extra effort to come up with a selling objective statement. Find out what department of the target organization hires volunteers and mention your interests in the objective instead of mentioning a specific position title.
• Seeking a volunteer work in the marketing department of AA Company that could utilize my matchless persuasive and interactive skills productively.
• Looking for a volunteer position in community center. Offers functional knowledge of community resources deployment means coupled with exceptional motivational skills.