It is no secret that skills are what makes us professional individuals.
If we have the skills to perform a specific job, nothing can stop us from being successful at what we do.
In some instances, skills alone make us triumphant so most of us bank highly on what we can do.
Working in the healthcare industry gives you many opportunities where your mettle as a healthcare professional is tested to a very high degree.
Skills to do any job here is of great importance.
This is especially true if you are a nurse working in the emergency room of a hospital.
Many times in a day, you will be faced with challenges where you will need to save lives.
If you do not have the skills to handle this demanding job, your work as an ER nurse will not be appreciated.
See also: ER Nurse Cover Letter
ER nurses depend highly on what they can do in an emergency situation. Here is a list of skills that an ER nurse has to possess:
Sample Skills for ER Nurse Resume
• Working knowledge of handling emergency cases in a real-time environment.
• Demonstrated ability to observe signs, symptoms, and behavior of patients to providing immediate emergency services.
• Well versed in performing specialized, life-saving treatments including CPR and neonatal resuscitations.
• Thorough knowledge of administering medication and other physical therapies such as IVs.
• Critical thinking insight targeted at assessing patients’ health and determining when action is necessary.
• High attention to detail aimed at working with a multitude of specialized treatments.
• Proven ability to stay calm in distressful situations with a keen capability of showing compassion.
• Exceptional communication skills aimed at calming down distressed patients and families.
• Able to take directions and following them with an aim to handle emergencies appropriately.
• Well prepared for the unpredictable and diverse nature of emergencies that are the norm in emergency rooms.
• Proficient in triaging of patients in emergency rooms concerning the severity of illness or injury.
• Ability to recognize the need for assistance and follow through appropriately.
• Strong knowledge of operating and maintaining emergency room equipment.
• Ability to work successfully in a multifaceted and fast-paced triage medical facility.
• Competent understanding of screening patients promptly to provide them proper emergency treatment.
• Knowledge of preparing and maintaining a sterile emergency area.
• Physically dexterity aimed at lifting patients moving them by taking into account injuries and illnesses.