Psychiatric nurses provide support to patients with mental disorders. In some settings, they are also called mental health nurses.
They work with patients to assist them in leading a near-normal life by assessing their conditions, supporting in designing care plans for them and administering medication for them.
Also, they are expected to talk patients through hard times by providing some counseling and to assist in providing support to the patients’ families as well. They also administer medication and monitor treatment results as directed.
A resume for the position of psychiatric nurse needs to possess some specific information regarding their education as a nurse and specialization in mental health.
Psychiatric Nurse Resume Sample
4019 Congress Street
Duson, LA 90289
• Highly skilled nurse with over 10 years of practical experience in hospitals and primary care facilities.
• Established a strong repute in mental health support including assessment and counseling.
• Competent at managing distressed patients in a non-threatening manner.
• Hands-on experience in managing de-escalation techniques to assist patients with managing their .emotions
Board Examination – 2012
License, State of Louisiana – 2013
Synergy Care, Duson, LA
May 2018 – Present
• Assess patients’ mental and physical health.
• Design and implement individualized care plans.
• Administer prescribed medication by mouth and IVs.
• Observe behavior problems and report to the physician.
• Counsel patients to assist them in managing their coping abilities.
• Record health histories and maintain patient files.
• Act as an advocate for patients and provide education to families.
• Assist mental health physicians with patient care procedures.
Synergy Care, Duson, LA
Dec 2012 – May 2018
• Provided direct patient care as directed.
• Obtained health history of patients and file patients’ records.
• Administer medication and manage IVs for patients.
• Provided assistance with grooming and dressing.
• Prepared patients for surgical procedures.
• Administered CPR to patients on an emergency basis.
• Provided emotional support to patients and families.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing
Louisiana School Of Nursing, Duson, LA
St. Margaret Scholarship
Mental Health Aide
Community Outreach Center, Duson, LA
Sep 2011 – Dec 2012
• Launched a volunteer system that provided counseling to people with mental and mood disorders.
• Coordinated efforts of volunteers by managing medical appointments and counseling sessions.
• Promoted activities to sustain a positive approach and increase the quality of life of patients who have mental conditions.
Louisiana Nurses’ Association – Current
American Nursing Association – Current
Registered Psychiatric Nurse Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess patients for mental health conditions and document all assessments.
- Devise, plan, and implement appropriate care plans that meet the needs of each patient.
- Build professional relationships with patients to promote trust.
- Interpret patients’ needs and concerns regarding their health and treatment.
- Administer medication in a timely and correct fashion.
- Monitor the results of treatment and report any unusual findings to the healthcare provider.
- Assist patients in handling their emotions by applying de-escalation techniques.
- Provide mental health support by managing therapy-based programs which may include anxiety and depression management through cognitive therapies.
- Confer with patients and encourage them to take an active part in social activities.
- Determine needed action in the event of deviations from normal findings.
- Educate patients and families on mental health care techniques that they can practice at home.
- Ensure appropriate management of patients with mental flares.
- Prepare and maintain patient records in a clear and concise manner.
- Handle irate patients by exercising self-control and objectivity.
- Closely monitor patients to determine if they are at risk of harming themselves.
- Review care plans and make any necessary changes under the supervision of the doctor.
- Consult with doctors and other healthcare professionals to provide patient progress reports and findings.
- Respond to distressed patients by attempting to calm them down.
- Produce risk assessments for individual patients.
- Ensure the promotion of recovery-based care approaches.