Depending on which industry they work for and what their particular duties are, team leaders are responsible for ensuring that their teams live up to the targets that they have been provided with.
Team leaders lead customer service teams to ensure that the type of service delivered to customers is high and that any sales quotas are met in a time-efficient manner.
It is important for team leaders to be very focused as they need to handle the day to day planning and operations of an office so that their teams meet their designated targets.
For instance, a team leader working for an outbound call center will need to ensure that sales quotas of the week or month are met, and that repeat business is ensured. A team leader will also handle employee scheduling and monitor his team’s performance on a sales floor. A team leader’s prime duty is to make sure that team members work together and that they deliver exceptional customer services.
Since team leads are the primary source of contact when anything goes wrong, they need to exercise independence and responsibility. No matter what circumstances prevail, team leaders will always be at the front to handle things. Some essential duties of a team lead include:
Team Leader Job Description Sample
• Provide team leadership and coaching to team members by creating an environment of trust and open thinking
• Ensure that work environment is conducive to creative thinking and cohesive team effort
• Provide teams with visions of a project by explaining objectives
• Motivate team members to make sure that they perform towards set objectives
• Lead by acting as a role model and ensure that self-behavior is consistent with words
• Coach teams to ensure they work together and provide counseling services in order to resolve dysfunctional behavior
• Ensure that healthy group dynamics are maintained and aid team members in addressing issues
• Ensure that team members are made and kept familiar with customers’ needs and the tools needed to handle different tasks
• Assist team members in staying on track and keeping focused on the job at hand
• Ensure that meeting times and agendas are established
• Create status reports of team activities and ensure that these are communicated to senior management
• Keep top management informed of task accomplishments and project statuses
• Observe training needs of the teams and ensure that proper training is provided
• Identify areas where each individual team member can improve and focus on it through education and positive motivation
• Ensure that team members’ morale is kept high by rewarding them on jobs well done