The main work of an assistant production manager is to plan, coordinate and control manufacturing processes within a plant environment.
Typically, an individual working at this position reports to a production manager, and he or she is required to monitor production of goods and the effectiveness of associated services.
It is the job of an assistant production manager to determine and provide estimates to the finance department for the purchase of materials and for labor hiring purpose. In addition to this, he or she is expected to look after the purchase of equipment and raw materials, and ensure that both are stored in safe places.
Also, it is the duty of a procurement manager to allocate resources and duties to the production staff, making sure that all such activities are properly logged. If you want to work as an assistant production manager, you might be asked to contact vendors and suppliers and place orders in a timely manner.
Depending on which industry an assistant production manager is working in, he or she needs to possess a bachelor’s degree at the very least. It is important for assistant production managers to understand the production initiation process, and be able to arrange materials, equipment, staff and techniques for all production processes.
Assistant Production Manager Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist in the planning and organization of production schedules and assess project and resource requirements.
• Provide estimates for each production plan and negotiate and agree upon budgets and timescales with customers.
• Provide support in determining quality control standards, and ensure that they are properly implemented and followed.
• Create and maintain effective liaison with vendors and suppliers to ensure that materials and equipment are sourced in a timely manner.
• Allocate resources and duties to assigned staff members and ensure that they follow them properly.
• Identify labor and production conflicts and ensure that they are resolved in a timely manner.
• Monitor all aspects of the production cycle, and ensure that any issues are troubleshot in an immediate fashion
• Develop and enforce standard operating procedures (SOPs) and ensure that all safety and quality goals are effectively met.
• Handle issuance and release of purchase orders and collect advanced shipping notices as deemed necessary.
• Provide support in directing production teams to ensure conformance to quality and schedules.
• Manage production processes to optimize quality performance and timely delivery, ensuring customer satisfaction at all times.
• Provide insight and critical process interventions, to ensure that error-proofing processes are properly placed.
Last updated on