In an interview for a housemaid position, you will be asked a lot of questions pertaining to your ability to clean and maintain personal spaces.
Hence, it is imperative that you highlight the skills that you have obtained over the years that you have worked as a housemaid, as well as those that are inherent in you.
Specifically, in a housemaid interview, you will be asked what you know about cleaning products and how to use them.
You can also be judged on your ability to handle cleaning work in an efficient and quick manner.
It is imperative that you are prepared to answer these questions – going through the following set of housemaid interview questions and answers will help greatly:
21 Common Questions and Answers for Housemaid Interview
1. Tell me a little bit about yourself.
I am a punctual and driven housemaid with 8 years of cleaning and housekeeping experience. Working in the housekeeping field has always been my interest, especially where households are concerned.
2. What duties have you performed in the role of a housemaid?
While working as a housemaid, I have performed many duties such as:
- Cleaning surfaces
- Sweeping and mopping
- Vacuuming and washing carpets and rugs
- Washing and drying clothes, and ensuring that they are ironed and put away properly
- Sanitizing bathrooms
- Cooking as and when required
3. What skills do you bring to the table?
I am a highly-skilled individual who possesses excellent skills in:
- Performing safe and efficient cleaning work
- Determining the right cleaning methods for each surface
- Effectively performing all work in the shortest possible time
- Performing grout cleaning and floor waxing work
- Keeping records of supplies and cleaning resources
- Handling household inventory
4. What do you like most about this job?
I love the fact that I am on my feet most of the day. This keeps me fit, as I actually enjoy doing physically challenging work.
5. What do you dislike about this work?
I don’t dislike anything about this work. I chose to pick up a career as a housemaid, and I enjoy every bit of it.
6. How do you handle conflict?
I work solo usually, so conflict is not really an issue. However, if the conflict is with a homeowner, I never react negatively. I listen to what they have to say and try to make things to their liking as much as possible
7. What do you feel is the most important part of working as a housemaid?
I cannot pinpoint just one area that I feel is more important than another. I think all areas of working as a housemaid are equally important.
8. What do you do when you get tired?
I take breaks. When one is working in a physically demanding capacity, it is imperative to take regular breaks to ensure that your work is not affected.
9. What is your greatest strength?
My greatest strength is my physical agility. I can do physically demanding work for long periods of time.
10. What is your biggest weakness?
I feel that I need to take more time out than I do. I love my work so much that asking for time off doesn’t seem right to me. But I am working on it.
11. In your opinion, which part of the work of a housemaid is not as easy as it seems?
Disinfecting an environment may look easy to people, but it requires a lot of work and thoroughness, as you don’t want to leave any spot, however small it may be.
12. Have you ever left a job because you did not get along with the homeowner?
No. I have never left a job because of this reason. I am an extremely easygoing individual and get along with everyone.
13. Tell me of a time when you did something and came out shining.
I was once working for a couple who had a premature baby. Before they brought him home from the hospital, I sanitized the entire house thoroughly, especially the nursery, so that he would remain in a sterile environment until he was a little older. And I kept the sanitizing procedure going every single day, and received appreciation from the parents.
14. Do you have any experience in child care?
Yes. I can handle children from ages 2 to 12 quite well. In my present place of work, I am looking after children as well as handling housekeeping work.
15. Describe your perfect work environment.
The great thing about working as a housemaid is that you get to make your work environment perfect. Expecting a perfect work environment is probably not a good idea, as one can easily succumb to disappointments.
16. If you saw a fellow housemaid steal, what would be your reaction?
My initial reaction would be to talk to her so that she doesn’t complete the deed. But then, I feel that such things need to be reported because if it has happened once, it can happen another time as well.
17. Have you ever been blamed for a missing item?
No. I have never been blamed for a missing item. I make sure that I put all things in place, and if something goes missing, I always manage to find it.
18. How do you handle stress?
Working as a housemaid is actually a destressing activity for me. I do not get stressed easily. On the rare occasion that I do, I listen to music which always has a calming effect on me.
19. If we are to hire you, when can you join us?
I can join you as soon as my 30-day notice period is over.
20. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I am hoping to try my expertise as a nanny, which is my future goal.
21. Do you have any questions for me?
I am interested in finding out more about the chores that a housemaid is expected to do at your place.