Housemaid Job Description
Because of the extremely busy lives and long working hours that people spend outside, it is virtually impossible to handle housework efficiently.
Housemaids are specifically hired to provide assistance in handling household chores such as washing, cleaning, cooking, and even childcare at times.
The duties of a housemaid cannot be undermined as she is responsible for taking off a huge chunk of household-related stress from busy homeowners.
When you apply for a job as a housemaid, it is recommended that you read the following list of roles and responsibilities that may be entrusted to you in this role.
Also, if you are hiring a housemaid, you may use this job description to advertise the job.
Housemaid Duties and Responsibilities
- Sweep and mop floors around the house including the kitchen and the porch.
- Handle kitchen cleaning duties such as sanitizing countertops and arranging cupboards.
- Ensure that all kitchen appliances such as cooking ranges, dishwashers, and microwaves are cleaned and maintained perfectly.
- Wash and dry dishes and make sure that they are put away in designated cupboards.
- Wash and iron clothes in accordance with specific instructions provided by homeowners.
- Change linen and make beds on a daily basis along with tidying up bedrooms and living rooms.
- Ensure that carpets are vacuumed and shampooed as per the orders of homeowners.
- Empty waste bins and ashtrays and ensure that all waste is properly put away.
- Dust window blinds and tidies up draperies or curtains in an aesthetic manner.
- Wash down bathrooms and replenish supplies such as soap and toilet paper.
- Waste any expired food in the pantry or refrigerator and ensure that food supplies are kept at an adequate level.
- Polish silver objects around the house and wax floors.
- Care for children and older adults as per specific instructions from the homeowners.
- Scrub stains and mildew from surfaces such as floors and countertops.
- Ensure that installed alarm systems are in the correct working order.
- Cook food according to designated recipes provided by the homeowner or on other instructions.
Housemaid Job Scope
Housemaids may be hired through a company or in a personal capacity. Since different people have different needs, a housemaid’s specific responsibilities and duties can only be explained at the time of hiring.
Some people prefer to hire housemaids who can live with them so that their work hours are not too defined – many live-in housemaids are considered part of the family and can enjoy comfortable arrangements.
In bigger houses, a housemaid may be supervised by a housekeeper; in smaller households, housemaids are usually not supervised.
Housemaid Job Requirements
While there are no formal education requirements for housemaids who want to apply for this position, it is preferable that they hold a high school diploma.
Any background in handling housework is always a plus point in an application. People who can look after children and the elderly with kindness and compassion are preferred for this position.