A casual job is one that does not have a firm commitment in advance from an employer regarding work hours. In general, casual employees don’t get paid leaves or any other benefits.
There are many casual jobs available such as warehouse worker, cleaner, or general laborer.
In this article, we will focus on resume building for a casual job specifically for a general laborer.
It may be coined as a casual job, but working as a general laborer is not in the least bit casual. In fact, it requires great grit and expertise to perform it.
So, when you write a resume for a casual job such as a laborer, make sure that you highlight your physical agility, and the ability to work on all major work processes within construction or other arenas.
It is important to focus on your relevant experience (if any) and transferable skills when you write a resume for a casual job.
The following is a casual job resume sample that you can look through to see what you can place in different sections:
Sample Resume for a Casual Job
1937 Yeti Road, Monroe, LA 89177
Physically strong and dexterous individual, with over 9 years of experience working as a general laborer on construction sites. Highly knowledgeable about cleaning and setting worksites by removing hazardous or obsolete materials. Demonstrated ability to assist skilled individuals including carpenters and welders, in order to ensure timely project completion.
- Loading and Unloading
- Tradespeople Assistance
- Scaffolding Erection
- Power Tools Use
- Warning Signs Placement
- Safety Precautions
- Preventative Maintenance
- Waste Disposal
• Singlehanded unloaded materials from a delivery truck weighing over 1000 lbs.
• Implemented a preventative maintenance system to increase tools and machinery life.
• Trained 80+ apprentices in handling the construction work process as part of their induction program.
United Contractors, Monroe, LA
May 2019 – Present
• Clear work areas to make them ready for construction work
• Check building or construction plans to determine work processes, such as digging
• Load and unload materials and equipment from delivery trucks
• Build scaffolding and move it to appropriate locations
• Compact earth, and backfill holes as instructed
• Assist tradespeople such as welders and painters in performing their work
• Operate and maintain equipment such as cranes and forklifts
• Perform preventative and regular maintenance on tools and equipment
• Ensure that all tools are gathered at the end of each shift, and properly stored
• Lay downpipes and mix concrete as instructed
• Create logs at the end of each shift
Big Creek Construction, Monroe, LA
Jun 2017 – May 2019
• Picked up unwanted materials from construction sites
• Gathered material that could be recycled or reused
• Assisted in digging holes and trenches, and building structures
• Put up warning signs in order to divert traffic
High School Diploma
St. Christopher’s High School, Monroe, LA