There are certain instances where potential janitorial candidates might need to de-emphasize their chronological work history and showcase the acquired skills in the field. The reason may be a job switch or gaps in employment. The solution to this is a functional or skills bases resume.
Although a functional resume does enlist one’s work history with dates, but the skills are presented comprehensively before the work history. The purpose of this format is to lift the focus of potential employers off the employment gaps or irrelevant experience onto the potential of the candidate that is relevant to the job being sought.
Career experts recommend beginning a functional resume with an objective statement rather than a performance summary since this again helps de-focusing the chronological work history.
711 Wilson Street | San Jose, CA 89898
(004) 555-3333 ● roger @ email . com
OBJECTIVE: Seeking a position as a janitorial with a renowned firm where exceptional skills in housekeeping and custodial maintenance could be fully utilized to achieve the goals of organization.
• Well versed in using electrical cleaners and vacuum cleaning equipment
• Familiar with snow melting and ground clearing techniques
• Ability to read, write, maintain inventories and follow instructions
• Proficient in effective usage of insecticides for fumigation and rodent infestation
• Capable of minor repairs related to electricity, plumbing and carpentry
• Knowledgeable of various cleaning chemicals and safety protocols for the same
• Presentable personality with effective customer dealing skills
• Swept, mopped and waxed floors regularly
• Washed, sorted and distributed linen, dusted allotted areas and maintained the lobby and guest waiting area in a neat and clean condition
• Prepared snacks, cleared tables and stacked dishes for washing
• Emptied waste bins and disposed off the garbage as per given guidelines
• Communicated any repairs needed on priority basis to the management
• Dusted and polished all furniture and décor
• Maintained all electrical appliances in a clean and functional condition
• Locked all doors at off time daily and opened the same timely each morning
• Maintained the inventory for stock and cleaning material
• Trimmed, mowed and watered the grounds
• Cleaned the grounds regularly, removed all debris from the grass
• Cleared walking and driving paths via snow melting machinery and tools
• Used power and hand gardening tools, cleaned and restored the same safely on daily basis
Grounds Keeper | Service by Medallion, San Jose, CA | May 2010 – Dec 2012
Janitor | EAH, San Jose, CA | Jan 2013 – Present
GED | ABC School, San Jose, CA | 2010