Fundraising is a fun job to do, but it is also tricky. Most people and organizations may be unwilling to contribute even if it is for a good cause.
Fundraiser managers are trained professionals who know how to derive funds from different donors on behalf of the company.
Only meeting a donor and asking for funds is no good – one has to understand the mission of the organization he or she represents and make a plan to present to a donor.
Preparing a presentation on why your organization needs funds and what they will be used for is an excellent way of getting your point across to a donor.
A considerable part of a fundraising manager’s job is to research donor opportunities.
Finding out which organization is keen on supporting your organization’s missions is the key to gaining funds.
Related: Fundraising Manager Cover Letter
Typical duties of a fundraising manager include:
Sample Job Description for Fundraising Manager Resume
• Research opportunities for fundraising and contact organizations who may have similar missions
• Make a list of possible grant providers and write proposals to reach out to them
• Meet prospective donors and present the company’s ideas and purposes to them
• Identify new relationships with institutional clients and build upon them
• Organize fundraisers such as outdoor events and door to door collections and attend relevant fundraisers
• Target charitable trusts that’s criteria is in sync with that of the company
• Develop fundraising strategies and ensure deliverables
• Ensure the development of existing and new fundraising initiatives
• Coordinate the development and delivery of web-based fundraising activities
• Interview and train employees to carry out fundraising activities
• Coordinate the efforts of employees to ensure that targets are met constantly
• Handle online auctions and merchandise sales to raise collectibles
• Recruit and organize volunteers to carry out fundraising activities
• Write applications, mail shots, and letters to donor agencies
• Handle departmental communication needs and set individual targets for each member of the fundraising teams
• Communicate with the public using social media and direct mail
• Create and maintain effective liaison with copywriters and printers to develop quality promotional materials
• Assess the success of each fundraising activity or event and create appropriate reports for the management’s review
• Coordinate supporter database segmentation for referral purposes
• Provide valuable input to the communication department with a fundraising focus