One of the most demanding jobs in the United States of America is that of a 911 operator.
911 operators spend their workday receiving distress calls and assisting callers by dispatching emergency services.
They answer telephone calls from distressed citizens, take the information of their location and emergency type, and inform the concerned emergency service departments.
At times, 911 operators need to talk callers through situations to help them reach safety. They need to be extremely alert and detached when taking phone calls.
Since this position requires operators to be vigilant at all times, only people with the ability to deliver quick responses are hired for this position.
A good resume for the 911 Operator position lays the foundation for a good job.
It must reflect an individual’s ability to deal with stress and work activities while on call.
To build a good 911 Operator resume, candidates must follow contemporary resume writing guidelines and formats.
911 Operator Resume Writing Tips
1. Professional Layout
Select a standard font style such as Ariel or Times New Roman. Fancy styles and italicized fonts are considered informal.
2. Add Achievements
Support your claims with proof in the form of quantified professional achievements.
3. Be Brief
Add only relevant information in minimum space. Keep the resume very short and to the point.
4. Do not exaggerate
Be honest; write only what you have actually performed.
911 Operator Resume Sample 1
6729 White Road
Lacey, Washington, DC
Proactive and results-oriented professional with five years’ progressively responsible experience as a 911 Operator. Works well in an environment dedicated to public safety. Proficient in handling distress calls using great attention to detail and communication tactics. Profound knowledge of managing sensitive information using extreme ethical measures.
City of Mesa, AZ
Dec 2015 – Present
• Receive emergency calls from the public and respond appropriately.
• Talk to callers to obtain location information and the nature of the emergency.
• Ensure that callers stay on the time so that kind of emergency can be determined.
• Create logs of caller’s name, address and distress information while on call.
• Prioritize calls by separating important calls from hoax calls.
• Dispatch appropriate emergency services immediately.
• Provide emergency services personnel with as much information about the caller as possible.
• Maintain files and records of cases as necessary.
• Guide callers to safety as often as possible.
• Managed to guide a caller who was being stalked by a stranger to a safe location by providing instructions on the telephone.
• Successfully prevented a robbery from taking place by dispatching police to a threatened caller’s house promptly.
FJC Security, Long Island, NY
Jan 2010 – Dec 2015
• Assisted dispatchers in logging caller information in a real-time environment.
• Managed logged data in the database appropriately.
• Ensured that all call receiving equipment is set up for each shift.
• Assisted dispatching services by initiating and expediting calls to emergency service providers.
• Proved instrumental in dispatching ambulances to a pileup accident on the freeway which resulted in saving all accident victims’ lives.
• Awarded Employee of the Quarter award following excellence in providing support services to 911 operators.
Associate of Arts in Public Safety
Long Island College, Long Island, NY
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
– Base radios operations
– Computer terminals
– Communications equipment
– Local streets and areas
– Geographical layout of districts
– Public safety policies
– Operating procedures
911 Operator Resume Sample 2
210 Olive Gardens, Richmond, VA 67884
thomas @ email . com
Proactive, alert, and vigilant emergency operator, accustomed to working in high-energy environments. Outstanding listener with proven ability to quickly grasp the situation and take required action. Dedicated team player who is able to multitask and think clearly, with demonstrated skills in calming down callers facing a crisis while listening effectively and adapting quickly to changing situations.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
– Emergency Response
– Information Gathering
– Situation Controlling
– Database Management
– Help Dispatching
– Map Reading
– Report Writing
– Data Entry
– Personnel Direction
– Safety Education
– Record Keeping
– Radio Transmission
8/2021 – Present
City of Richmond, Richmond, VA
• Actively respond to emergency and non-emergency information queries
• Immediately communicate information to dispatch teams in case of crisis
• Record daily calls received and details of action taken with complete case particulars in the database
2/2019 – 7/2021
ABC Emergency Service, Richmond, VA
• Operated telephones, facsimiles, radios and computers to transfer urgent information
• Kept a record of all data dispatched and maintained case data files
• Listened to caller’s emergencies and dispatched help teams aptly
Diploma in Emergency Response
Technical College, Richmond, VA, 2011
• Multilingual: Fluent in English, Spanish and French
• Familiar with radio messaging equipment
• BLS and First Aid Certified
• Knowledge of local, state and national computer databases
• Well-versed in using a variety of technical systems and alarms
• MS Office Applications