When you enter a pizza place, the first person you will meet is a crew member – and maybe the last too.
This individual is responsible for taking your order, processing it, and delivering it to you in a timely manner.
Precisely, your job will be to take orders, suggest pizza toppings and crust types, process payments, and make pizza and other items according to set recipes.
You may be asked to operate cash registers in order to process cash and card payments. Packing pizzas and sides for takeaway orders will also be part of your work.
Education and Experience
To work as a pizza crew member, one must possess a high school diploma or a GED equivalent.
Prior experience in a fast food capacity will go a long way in convincing an employer that you are the best person to consider.
Skills and Abilities
As a pizza crew member, you have to be excellent in communicating with people, and your interpersonal skills must also be exceptional. Since you will be responsible for customer satisfaction, you must impact them in a positive way.
• Greet patrons as they arrive at the order counter in a pleasant way.
• Provide menus and assist in choosing pizzas, sides, and other food items.
• Take orders and punch them into the POS system.
• Provide customers with payment information.
• Process cash and credit card payments, tendering change and receipts.
• Relay pizza and other food items orders to the kitchen area and follow up on each order.
• Inform customers about order timelines.
• Interact with customers to determine if their orders are properly done.
• Use upselling techniques to sell additional food items such as garlic bread, fries, and nuggets.
• Handle complaints and suggestions in accordance with restaurant policies and procedures.
• Make pizza dough and place it in warm areas for it to be properly prepared.
• Wash and chop meats and vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, and mushrooms.
• Cut and slice meats including chicken, beef, and ham.
• Place toppings on pizza dough and place cheese on it.
• Put pizzas in ovens, set timers, and keep a check on heat gauges.
• Take pizzas out and serve them to customers while they are still hot.
• Pack pizzas in cardboard boxes, and add relishes and condiments.
• Hand pizza boxes to customers for takeaway orders.
• Clean and maintain pizza making machines and ovens.
• Sanitize and wipe down counters and shelves.
• Maintain a clean cooking station, and oversee food stock inventory.