You can write a medical coder resume in minutes, but collecting your thoughts and pertinent information and organizing it all in a resume is far from just some minutes’ work.
In the digital age job hunting might be a difficult thing to handle. However, you will be successful if you have a suitable resume format on which you can work.
If you know just how to place information on a piece of paper, you are done with half the work.
The following sample will help you understand how to write a good resume for a medical coder position.
Related: Medical Coder Cover Letter Sample
Medical Coder Resume Sample 1
Experience: 10+ Years
588 Example Street, New York, NY 06522
Bringing a strong passion for coding and a desire to work in a prestigious facility.
Results-driven and energetic Coder with 10+ years’ progressive experience in ICD-9, CPT-4, HCPCS, and DRG coding. Working knowledge of medical terminology, pharmacology, anatomy, and physiology. A team player who is known for the ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with co-workers and seniors.
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Critical thinking and decisive judgment
- Health Information Portability and Privacy Act (HIPAA)
- Strong time management skills
KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS A MEDICAL CODER
- Worked as an active member of a team that devised a physician coding database that took in relevant data and minimizes errors
- Achieved the Best Medical Coder Award in the year 2017
Family Health Hospital, New York, NY
2012 – Present
- Work in a stressful and busy environment and assign codes using appropriate coding classifications
- Manage outpatient coding for medical centers registered with the hospital
- Process a minimum of 100 claims a day conforming to ICD-9 and CPT-4 standards
- Punch patient information on Qaudramed
- Handle claims relevant to dentists, surgeries, psychiatry visits and diagnostic testing
Saint Agnes Hospital – Baltimore, MD
2010 – 2012
- Abstracted relevant information from patient records
- Assigned ICD, CPT, and HCPCS codes
- Created APC and DRG assignments
- Queried RNs and physicians in case of any ambiguity
- Kept abreast of modern coding guidelines
Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology
Maryland Community College, Baltimore, MD
RHIA, CPC, RHIT, and CCS-P
- Practice Management Software
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- VMS Systems
- Typing speed: 60 WPM
“I effectively relate to people and work collaboratively to attain the desired outcomes.”
Medical Coder Resume Sample 2
Experience: 5+ Years
454 Jocelyn Lane
Stillwater, MN 52156
acklittle @ email . com
Top-performing Medical Coder with 6+ years’ progressively responsible experience in ICD and CPT coding. Highly skilled in deciphering codes for different diseases and treatments and efficiently punching them into predefined coding systems. Efficiently works in a health information management environment.
Efficiently translated patient information into alphanumeric codes and posts information into medical coding systems that decreased errors by 99%. Special talent for preparing and reviewing patient account payments and submitting claims to insurance companies.
Peak Health Solutions, Stillwater, MN
2017 – Present
• Introduce the ICD-10 coding procedures in a medical environment based on archaic processes of medical coding.
• Correctly code 1500 medical records in the record time of 8 hours without any need for redoing.
• Review patient information to determine the type and extent of diseases diagnosed.
• Determine the correct codes for each disease or diagnosis and treatments.
• Supply correct ICD-9/10 diagnosis codes on all provided diagnosis.
• Code medical records by following accurate coding procedures.
• Collect and post patient account information.
• Prepare and review patient statements.
Medical Biller and Coder
Sava Healthcare, Stillwater, MN
2015 – 2017
• Ensured complete patient confidentiality by introducing dedicated systems of patients information and records handling.
• Increased 55% claim payment efficiency by maintaining constant meaningful contact with insurance companies on the panel.
• Processed payments for insurance companies.
• Followed up on claims to ensure that outstanding claims are paid in a time-efficient manner.
• Sorted and filed patient paperwork in an organized way while ensuring complete confidentiality.
• Investigated rejected claims and resubmitted them.
• Assisted in insurance fraud investigation and reported findings through predefined procedures.
Medical Coding Aide
Stillwater Health, Stillwater, MN
2014 – 2015
• Looked through patients’ files to determine the types of treatments administered for specific diseases.
• Assisted in sorting outpatient paperwork for coding.
• Deciphered codes to be punched in against each disease or treatment and enter them into the medical coding system.
• Ensured strict patient confidentiality by making sure that all information was kept safe.
• Prepared and reviewed patient information and reviewed delinquent accounts and handled follow-up procedures.
Specialized Courses in Medical Billing and Coding
ROCKWELL COLLEGE, Stillwater, MN
High School Diploma
ST. NICHOLAS HIGH SCHOOL, Stillwater, MN
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AS A MEDICAL CODER
• Insurance Liaison
• Payment Processing
• Patient Confidentiality
• Data Integrity
• Diagnostic Codes
• Insurance Billing
• Clinical Codes
• Medical Records Management
• Paperwork Management
• Admission/Discharge Procedures
• ICD-10 Code Set
• Condition Documentation
Additional Guideline to Write a Perfect Medical Coder Resume
If you truly want to write a medical coder resume that has standout quality, make sure that you follow just one rule. And that rule is to keep it simple, to the point, and absolutely relevant to the job description.