A medical coder is an individual who works in medical facilities to ensure that outpatient charges are appropriately coded into the system. Their primary work is to make sure that medical codes are assigned for services rendered during an appointment.
Working in this role requires much in terms of accuracy and organization, which is why people who possess these qualities are considered eligible for the job. Assessing patients’ medical records, and assigning the right codes to them is exceptionally important since one has to make sure that the outcomes of this work are properly managed.
Moreover, a coder needs to be a great communicator so that he or she can effectively create and maintain liaison with doctors and specialists. Resolving discrepancies and problems with coded entries will be all in a day’s work for you, which is why your problem-solving skills must be excellent.
You can write a medical coder resume in minutes, but collecting your thoughts and pertinent information and organizing it all in a resume is far from just some minutes of work.
In the digital age job hunting might be a difficult thing to handle. However, you will be successful if you have a suitable resume format on which you can work.
If you know just how to place information on a piece of paper, you are done with half the work.
The following sample will help you understand how to write a good resume for a medical coder position.
Related: Medical Coder Cover Letter Sample
Medical Coder Resume Sample 1
Experience: 10+ Years
588 Example Street
New York, NY 06522
Bringing a strong passion for coding and a desire to work in a prestigious facility.
Results-driven and energetic Coder with 10+ years’ progressive experience in ICD-9, CPT-4, HCPCS, and DRG coding. Working knowledge of medical terminology, pharmacology, anatomy, and physiology. A team player who is known for the ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with co-workers and seniors.
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Critical thinking and decisive judgment
- Health Information Portability and Privacy Act (HIPAA)
- Strong time management skills
KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS A MEDICAL CODER
- Worked as an active member of a team that devised a physician coding database that took in relevant data and minimizes errors
- Achieved the Best Medical Coder Award in the year 2021
Family Health Hospital, New York, NY
2019 – Present
- Work in a stressful and busy environment and assign codes using appropriate coding classifications
- Manage outpatient coding for medical centers registered with the hospital
- Process a minimum of 100 claims a day conforming to ICD-9 and CPT-4 standards
- Punch patient information on Qaudramed
- Handle claims relevant to dentists, surgeries, psychiatry visits, and diagnostic testing
Saint Agnes Hospital – Baltimore, MD
2010 – 2019
- Abstracted relevant information from patient records
- Assigned ICD, CPT, and HCPCS codes
- Created APC and DRG assignments
- Queried RNs and physicians in case of any ambiguity
- Kept abreast of modern coding guidelines
Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology
Maryland Community College, Baltimore, MD
RHIA, CPC, RHIT, and CCS-P
- Practice Management Software
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- VMS Systems
- Typing speed: 60 WPM
“I effectively relate to people and work collaboratively to attain the desired outcomes.”
Medical Coder Resume Sample 2
Experience: 5+ Years
454 Jocelyn Lane
Stillwater, MN 52156
acklittle @ email . com
Top-performing Medical Coder with 6+ years’ progressively responsible experience in ICD and CPT coding. Highly skilled in deciphering codes for different diseases and treatments and efficiently punching them into predefined coding systems. Efficiently works in a health information management environment.
Efficiently translated patient information into alphanumeric codes and posts information into medical coding systems that decreased errors by 99%. Special talent for preparing and reviewing patient account payments and submitting claims to insurance companies.
• Insurance Liaison • Payment Processing
• Patient Confidentiality • Data Integrity
• Diagnostic Codes • Insurance Billing
• Clinical Codes • Medical Records Management
• Paperwork Management • Admission/Discharge Procedures
• ICD-10 Code Set • Condition Documentation
Peak Health Solutions, Stillwater, MN
2020 – Present
• Introduce the ICD-10 coding procedures in a medical environment based on archaic processes of medical coding.
• Correctly code 1500 medical records in the record time of 8 hours without any need for redoing.
• Review patient information to determine the type and extent of diseases diagnosed.
• Determine the correct codes for each disease or diagnosis and treatment.
• Supply correct ICD-9/10 diagnosis codes on all provided diagnoses.
• Code medical records by following accurate coding procedures.
• Collect and post patient account information.
• Prepare and review patient statements.
Medical Biller and Coder
Sava Healthcare, Stillwater, MN
2016 – 2020
• Ensured complete patient confidentiality by introducing dedicated systems of patient information and record handling.
• Increased claim payment efficiency by 40% by maintaining constant meaningful contact with insurance companies on the panel.
• Processed payments for insurance companies.
• Followed up on claims to ensure that outstanding claims are paid in a time-efficient manner.
• Sorted and filed patient paperwork in an organized way while ensuring complete confidentiality.
• Investigated rejected claims and resubmitted them.
• Assisted in insurance fraud investigation and reported findings through predefined procedures.
Medical Coding Aide
Stillwater Health, Stillwater, MN
2015 – 2016
• Looked through patients’ files to determine the types of treatments administered for specific diseases.
• Assisted in sorting outpatient paperwork for coding.
• Deciphered codes to be punched in against each disease or treatment and entered into the medical coding system.
• Ensured strict patient confidentiality by making sure that all information was kept safe.
• Prepared and reviewed patient information reviewed delinquent accounts and handled follow-up procedures.
Specialized Courses in Medical Billing and Coding
Rockwell College, Stillwater, MN
Medical Coder Job Description for Resume
Before you write a resume for the medical coder position, make sure you go through the following list of duties particular to this position. These phrases will help you in building the EXPERIENCE or EMPLOYMENT section of your resume.
- Examine patients’ charts and records and ensure that appropriate codes are assigned to them.
- Work with both paper and electronic charts to determine the types of procedures that patients have gone through, and which codes correlate with these procedures.
- Look through patient records and assess the accuracy and completeness of each record, following pre-established protocols.
- Confirm that the diagnosis of each doctor or specialist is final and complete, before determining codes.
- Assign codes for all specialist procedures, diagnoses, and services, keeping in mind predetermined classification systems.
- Identify all chargeable services for outpatient and emergency procedures, ensuring that correlating charges are properly entered into the system.
- Check all coded information to verify the accuracy and completeness of each case and identify and resolve any issues that may transpire.
- Respond to requests for coded information by following appropriate verification procedures.
- Handle proper code selection activities by applying advanced knowledge of medical terminology and treatment modalities.
- Perform a comprehensive review of patients’ records, aimed at ensuring complete data capture.
Medical Coder Skills for Resume
The following skills statements will help you in building the SKILLS or QUALIFICATIONS section of your resume.
- Successful track record of compiling, abstracting, and assigning accepted medical codes.
- Well-versed in code diagnoses (ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT, and HCPS) derived from medical record documentation.
- Competent at reviewing records for completeness, correctness, and compliance with regulations.
- Known for maintaining the confidentiality of medical records.
- Thorough understanding of appropriate Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- Strongly familiar with anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology.
- Able to use document scanning and management software.
- Talented in ensuring the accuracy of medical records in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Typing speed: 45 WPM
- Computer: 10 key by touch, MS Word, Excel, Database
- Able to adapt, modify and prioritize coding functions
Medical Coder Soft Skills for Resume
- Logical thinking
- Keen attention to detail
- Team player
- Problem-analyzing and solving
- Independent judgment
- Work with minimum supervision
If you truly want to write a medical coder resume that has good qualities, make sure that you follow just one rule. And that rule is to keep it simple, to the point, and absolutely relevant to the job description.