Medical Records Coders are employed by hospitals and other medical facilities including dentists’ offices, nursing homes, and clinics.
Their primary job is to assign industry-established codes to patient records and coinciding health insurance claims.
Medical records coding field that is growing at a fast rate in the USA, Canada, Australia, UK, and other countries.
A job application to apply in this profession requires a compelling resume along with a well-written cover letter.
A resume for Medical Coding profession is similar to any other line of work, but a little modification to the style may be necessary to draw attention to your main qualifications which will be beneficial for the employer.
Medical Records Coder Resume Example
7221 William Street
Buffalo, NY 89902
Medical Records Coder
Results-driven medical records coder with 12 years’ successful experience working in the medical billing and coding field. Ability to review hospital medical records to establish all diagnoses and procedures. Advanced problem-solving skills with a track record of multitasking in fast-paced and busy medical settings.
• Correctly reading and interpreting notes and charts and assigns proper diagnostic and procedural codes.
• Analyzing medical records to ensure complete and consistent diagnosis procedures.
• ICD9-CM, HCPCS II and CPT-4 coding systems, and applicable reimbursement systems.
MBS Inc. – Buffalo, NY
Dec 2015 – Present
Medical Records Coder
• Assign accurate codes to all patient records.
• Analyze patient records for completeness and accuracy.
• Contact physicians regarding issues that reflect incompleteness in a patient record.
• Ensure correct DRG is assigned based on pertinent and necessary factors.
• Provide information regarding medical documentation to concerned facility’s staff.
• Attained “Employee of the Year Award” for performing efficient coding duties within deadlines for five projects continuously.
• Reorganized filing system and coding procedures, shortening 30% process time.
Greenway – Carrollton, GA
Aug 2008 – Dec 2015
• Received and reviewed charge documents from sites.
• Ensured that charge information provided is acceptable and perfect.
• Abstracted CPT-4, HCPCS II, and ICD-9-CM from medical records.
• Interpreted medical records and assigned proper diagnostic and procedural codes.
Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P)
Bachelor of Business Administration
City University, Carrollton, GA | 2007
• Medical terminology and specialty medical practices
• Ability to code medical records based on prescribed coding methods and procedures
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Superb communication skills
• Great telephone etiquette
• Known to maintain the confidentiality of patient information at all times