A commis chef’s interview success will depend on his or her ability to answer common and situational questions effectively.
In order to make the interview successful, it is imperative to prepare for it beforehand.
Finding out what questions you may be asked is step one.
Step two is preparing answers for them.
Here is a set of commis chef interview questions and answers that may help:
6 Possible Interview Questions and Answers for the Commis Chef Position
1. How do you feel about working under the supervision of a head chef?
I am actually quite excited at the prospect of working under the supervision of a head chef. This will provide me with the opportunity to learn much about cooking. Apart from this, I am sure that there will be a lot of exposure to how kitchens operate.
2. Since you have worked as a commis chef before, tell us a little about your past experience.
I have worked as a commis chef for almost a year. During this time, I learned much about handling food preparation tasks. Some of my duties included:
- Preparing ingredients such as meats, cheeses, fruits, and vegetables
- Chopping, cutting, and cubing ingredients to desired requirements
- Making soups, salads, and sandwiches
- Handling plating, portioning, and garnishing tasks
- Managing trash removal and disposal activities
- Rotating food items in storage
- Overseeing inventory levels
3. What is the one skill that you depend on when working as a commis chef?
I am an exceptionally talented individual when it comes to cooking. There are many skills that I depend on, to be honest. If I am to pick one up, it will be my ability to learn quickly.
4. Tell us about a time that you did something outstanding.
In my present workplace, I was tasked with managing all orders when the head chef had an accident on his way to work. During the 5 days that he was absent, I successfully managed everything in the kitchen, from ingredients preparation to the actual cooking.
5. How do you handle the pressure of orders?
There are times when I get a bombardment of orders. During these instances, I ensure that I keep my priorities straight. Working on a first come first serve basis, I organize my activities to work efficiently and quickly.
6. What are your 5-year plans?
I love cooking and all that it stands for. At the moment, I am learning the ropes. Eventually, I would like to work as a head chef.
Recommended: Commis Chef Resume