Cashiers work in many settings including banks, private and public organizations, and retail stores. They are usually the first people customers interact with when they enter an establishment.
Depending on the type of environment that they are working in, cashiers spend their day directing customers to the right representative, handling cash transactions, and managing complaints.
A cashier resume is a combination of short yet informative bullet points under different headings such as achievements, abilities, skills, qualifications, education, relevant experience, and awards.
If you want to build an effective resume, you must highlight your accomplishments and skills which set you apart from other applicants.
How to Write a Great Resume for Cashier Position?
See the tips below to write an attractive resume for the cashier position.
- Start your resume with a cashier career summary or profile. You may use a cashier objective if you have less or no experience in hand.
- Write your skills and core competencies directly below your summary statement. Emphasize your expertise in the cash handling and customer service field.
- Highlight your achievements as a cashier in a separate section.
- Mention your most relevant experiences.
- Tailor your resume as per the needs of the prospective employer.
Take further guidance on cashier resume writing by viewing the 3 samples below.
Cashier Resume Sample 1
Experience: 10+ Years
Council Buffs, IA
A rare combination of exceptional cash handling and customer service skills.
Results-driven Cashier with 11+ years of progressively responsible experience working at big retail chains. Successful track record of providing a great shopping experience for customers and assisting them every step of shopping. Demonstrated attention to detail and the ability to work in a self-directed manner. Customer service-oriented approach with exceptional interpersonal skills and a sincere passion for attaining the long-term goals of the company. Recognized for working efficiently as a team member, accurately scanning products, and maintaining displays.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
✓ Payments Processing ✓ Suggestive Selling
✓ Merchandise Wrapping ✓ Receipts Issuance
✓ Items Scanning ✓ Reconciliation
✓ Tendering Change ✓ Bagging and Loading
✓ Payment Calculation ✓ Shelves Stocking
✓ Work Area Cleanliness ✓ Multitasking
K-Mart – Council Bluffs, IA
May 2009 – Sep 2015
• Greet customers as they enter the store.
• Help customers locate the merchandise they need.
• Assist customers with buying decisions.
• Operate cash register and adding machines to receive cash for sold items.
• Calculate discounts and rewards as appropriate.
• Tag items for price and expiry date.
• Stock shelves and count merchandise.
• Balance all transactions at the end of the day for cash reconciliation.
✓ Exceeded the standards of customer service experience by maintaining a friendly and customer-focused approach.
✓ Promoted organization’s programs such as warranty sales, score-card, and private label credit cards.
✓ Provided timely and appreciable customer service, increasing revenue by $8000 per week.
✓ Changed the cash register handling process, which increased efficiency by 20%.
✓ Maintained and imparted knowledge of cash handling procedures.
Customer Service Cashier
Southwestern Regional Center – Tulsa, OK
Sep 2015 – Present
• Managed deposits and balanced accounts-receivable checks.
• Recorded received transactions.
• Maintained electronic remit programs.
• Kept the work area clean by following appropriate cleaning standards.
✓ Improved store accounting system through creative ideas and overhauling the previous haphazard cash management system.
✓ Attained Employee of the Year award because of customers’ positive feedback in proving excellent service.
✓ Counted, verified, and reconciled daily sales, which reduced losses by $20000 per month.
Associate’s Degree in Accounting
ABC College – Council Bluffs, IA
• Typing and keyboarding: 50 WPM
• Microsoft Office Suite and spreadsheets
“I am a well organized, and detail-oriented professional who has a strong commitment to providing exceptional customer service.”
Exemplary professional references are available
Cashier Resume Sample 2
Experience: 5-9 Years
Cash Handling | Communication | Customer Service
Goal-oriented, dependable, and alert Cashier with 8+ years of extensive experience in handling cash drawers while providing exceptional customer service to a multicultural populace. Recognized as an individual who can go the extra mile to resolve the problems of clients and coworkers. Record of following employer’s policies and procedures. Bilingual: English/Spanish.
– Transaction Handling – Discrepancy Removal
– Product Display – Wrapping & Packaging
– Cash Equivalents – – Bill Generation
– Inventory Maintenance – Loss Prevention
– POS Operations – Cash Reconciliation
– Cash Drawer Handling – Bagging
- Implemented POS-based transaction processing systems that enhanced billing and cashiering accuracy by 40%.
- Reduced waiting time for customers by 3 minutes on average through leveraging quick and effective automated bill generation mechanisms.
- Balanced cash drawer for the previous six months and removed all discrepancies within a fortnight of hiring.
- Complied with standard operating procedures at all times.
- Handled irate customers and difficult situations diplomatically.
Farmer’s Market, Novi, MI
2019 – Present
• Greet customers in a friendly and gracious manner.
• Process and generate bills, accept cards, and cash for payment of the same.
• Handle POS and balance cash drawer on a daily basis.
• Participate in month-end inventory and cycle counts.
• Organize shelves and merchandise.
• Assist customers with the bagging of items.
• Maintain and sanitize the checkout area.
Retail Sales Cashier
Dollar Tree, Novi, MI
2015 – 2019
• Assisted lead cashier in the execution of merchandising and billing operations.
• Processed and replenished merchandise and ensured stock availability on the assigned floor.
• Guided customers and provided them with the highest quality of customer service.
• Ensured loss prevention procedures.
• Stocked merchandise in the check stand area.
William High School, Novi, MI – 2008
• POS System
• MS Word and Excel
• Interac machine
“I ensure that customers always receive courteous and professional service.”
Cashier Resume Sample 3
Experience: 1-4 Years
❖❖ CASHIER ❖❖
“I am equipped to continue excellence in customer service, patience, and cash handling.“
Methodical and driven Cashier with exceptional skills and 2 years of hands-on experience in cash handling, cash balancing and closing, bill generation, and customer service. A proven team player who is highly skilled in processing credit cards, checks, and cash-based transactions. Customer service-oriented attitude, with a demonstrated ability to resolve problems and create a friendly environment.
– Returns/exchanges – Optical scanners
– Customer service – Communication
– Bagging/wrapping – Cash registers
– Rewards programs – Cash draw balancing
– Payments Handling – Calculation
– POS system – Reconciliation
City Supermarket, Portland, OR
July 2021 – Present
• Enhance the clientele by 20% through efficient customer relations protocol.
• Update the existing cash register to POS.
• Devise the store’s stock inventory that ensured the availability of items at all times, enhancing order efficiency and accuracy by 50%.
• Greet customers, and assist them in merchandise selection.
• Operate cash registers, handle cash, and charge sales. Organize shelves and merchandise.
ABC Restaurant, Portland, OR
May 2019 – June 2021
• Attained the ‘most efficient cashier’ award in 2019.
• Demonstrated effective daily cash closing and balancing practices that reduced the error rate by 100%.
• Implemented electronic cash registers and trained three new cashiers in the operation of the same.
• Received orders at the drive-through, and relayed the same to the food counter.
• Provided information regarding pricing, issued the final bills, and accepted payments.
A.A.S Degree in Accounting
AAA Community College, Portland, OR
• Bilingual: Spanish and English
• Exceptional numeracy skills
• Computer: MS Word and Excel
Cashier Duties and Responsibilities for Resume
- Greet customers as they enter the establishment
- Ask customers if they would like to be assisted
- Direct and escort customers to the right aisle or sales representative
- Scan and verify prices on products
- Take payment in exchange for products
- Process checks and credit card payments
- Bag, box, and wrap merchandise following customers’ instructions
- Balance cash registers at the end of each shift
- Count and sort coins and wrap currency appropriately
- Manage product returns and exchanges
- Assist with stocking shelves and rotating items
- Offer customers with carry out services
- Check daily cash accounts
- Prepare accounting reports and perform other light bookkeeping activities
- Report and sort irregular transactions
- Perform a wide range of suggestive selling tasks
- Actively listen to customers’ grievances and offer to resolve their problems
- Assist in demonstrating products when necessary
- Handle receipts and coupons
- Generate cash and transaction reports
Cashier Skills and Qualifications for Resume
- Customer Service: Highly skilled in providing prompt and friendly service to internal and external customers.
- Cash Handling: Profound ability to collect payments, operate a cash register, and maintain the cash drawer.
- Transactions Processing: Well-versed in performing cash and credit/debit/gift card transactions, and giving and receiving change.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to accurately scan and bag all merchandise.
- Able to maintain a clean, neat, and correctly stocked check-out counter as well as the work area.
- Familiar with gift cards, traveler’s checks, food stamps, cash, checks, processing coupons, and refunds.
- Demonstrated ability to balance all transactions run through the assigned register, including layaway payments, checks, register receipts, currency, and credit cards.
- Proven record of processing the exact and timely sale and return transactions.
- Able to maintain knowledge of product description and current location.
- Dedicated and meticulous; high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proficient in answering the telephone.
- Light housekeeping
- Work ethic and integrity.
- Passion to learn new technology and software applications.
- Ability to follow the safety and security procedures of the company.
- Neat, clean, and very professional appearance.
- Particularly effective in maintaining the confidentiality of records and data.
- Able to protect company assets using sound judgment and a vigilant eye.
- Documented success in developing and maintaining positive working relationships.
- Able to work collaboratively to attain and exceed the company’s goals.
- Bilingual: Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Computer: Skilled in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Physical Dexterity: Able to move, lift, and carry heavy objects.