Walmart Cashier Job Description
Walmart cashiers have the primary duty of operating cash registers and greeting customers as they enter a Walmart store.
Since Walmart has a reputation to uphold, cashiers need to portray a professional image by dealing with customers well.
They may work during the mornings or the evenings, depending on their work hours, and may also work on an occasional holiday.
Working as a Walmart cashier can be exhausting as you are continually sitting or standing in one position. Also, you have to deal with many demanding customers, sometimes simultaneously.
In some instances, they also have to perform the duties of cart pullers and baggers.
Some typical duties that you will be performing as a Walmart cashier include:
Recommended: Walmart Cashier Resume
Walmart Cashier Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet customers as they arrive at checkout counter.
- Conduct financial transactions using cash registers by taking cash in exchange for the items sold.
- Scan merchandise to determine prices and provide customers with information on what needs to be paid.
- Process credit and debit cards and ensure that receipts are signed, and cards are returned.
- Deactivate tagged merchandise and bag purchases in item-appropriate bags.
- Process discount coupons and redeem offer points in exchange for purchases.
- Ensure that the right amount of change is present in the cash drawer at the beginning of each shift
- Balance cash drawer at the end of each shift and handle any apparent discrepancies.
- Handle returns and exchanges by coordinating efforts with the customer service department.
- Listen to and attempt to resolve customers’ complaints and ensure that any escalated ones are informed to the right department.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the cash counter and surrounding areas.
- Stock merchandise, restock returned merchandise on shelves and set up marketing displays.
- Assist customers in finding the required items.
Walmart Cashier Skills and Abilities
- Basic mathematical skills
- Customer service knowledge
- Bookkeeping knowhow
- Problem-solving abilities
- “Can-do” attitude
- Cash handling
- Credit/Debit and gift cards handling
- Friendly, fun, and polite disposition
- Ability to stand extended periods of time
- Merchandise display
Walmart Cashier Educational Requirements
There are no formal educational requirements to work as Walmart cashiers, but you may be required to possess a high school diploma or a GED by some stores.