With many diseases associated with old age such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, many families hire professional caregivers for their loved ones.
Elderly caregivers have one of the most challenging (and the most fulfilling too) jobs in the world.
Since most older adults cannot perform much physical work, they need constant care and supervision.
The three areas of work of an elderly caregiver are companionship, personal care, and housekeeping.
Elderly caregivers are required to ensure that they stimulate, encourage, and assist the elderly in living their lives comfortably and with dignity.
Many elderly caregivers are trained so that they can cater to the healthcare needs of their wards including medication administration.
If you are thinking to apply for an elderly caregiver position, then it’s time to create or update your resume. In an elderly caregiver resume, you must focus on the needs of the employer.
It is true that a caregiver’s primary job is to look after people. But there are specific other duties you might need to perform depending on the clients you are taking care of. Therefore, mention all of your experiences and skills in your resume.
Take a look at a resume sample of an elderly caregiver position.
See also: Elderly Caregiver Cover Letter
Elderly Caregiver Resume Example
Elizabethport, NJ 02344
❖❖ ELDERLY CAREGIVER ❖❖
Compassionate elderly caregiver with 11+ years of hands-on experience in assisting elderly clients by employing tact. Able to handle adverse situations with high precision, and manage medical emergencies appropriately. Knowledge of common old age diseases and their management on a personal level.
• Companionship • Transportation
• Errands running • Meal preparation
• General assistance • Personal care
• Appointments management
• Communication • Light housekeeping
• Streamlined the caregiving procedures at the facility by introducing a “Compassion-First” policy that worked wonders in terms of feedback received from residents’ families.
• Proved invaluable in improving coordination between different departments of the facility to aid the caregiving process.
• Published 7+ articles in three years on the impact of Parkinson’s disease on elderly patients and possible ways to resist it.
• Decreased the facility’s entertainment costs by 50% by introducing on-facility entertainment.
Senior Helpers, Elizabethport, NJ
2018 – Present
• Provide caring companionship and the benefit of conversation to residents.
• Assist the kitchen staff in preparing resident-specific meals by following set meal plans.
• Provide support for grooming, bathing, toileting, and dressing.
• Assist in providing stabilization and help residents in walking and finding their balance.
• Administer limited medication as instructed by the doctor.
• Take and record residents’ vitals regularly.
• Perform light housekeeping activities and run errands such as shopping for supplies.
• Ensure that residents’ linen is clean and changed every day.
• Manage residents’ laundry and ironing needs.
• Provide companionship during walks and other recreational activities.
• Escort residents to doctors’ appointments and provide a shoulder to lean on.
ABC Caregivers, Elizabethport, NJ
2012 – 2018
• Assisted residents in handling their personal needs, such as toileting and bathing.
• Ensured that the food given to residents is in sync with doctors’ orders.
• Supported residents in eating their meals and provided them with medication reminders.
• Helped in dressing and grooming activities.
• Accompanied residents to doctors’ appointments and assisted them in taking part in social activities.
High School Diploma
ABC High School, Elizabethport, NJ
Elderly Caregiver Job Description for Resume
- Assist older adults with bathing, dressing, grooming, and toileting
- Perform light housekeeping duties such as cleaning, dishwashing, and laundry
- Provide support in cooking
- Plan and prepare meals according to specific diet plans and assist in partaking of meals
- Clean and sanitize the area after the meal
- Run errands; pay bills and perform shopping
- Remind clients about their medication and administer medication if required
- Take and record vitals such as body temperature and blood pressure
- Provide companionship and conversation
- Help clients with walking, light exercise, and physical therapy
- Accompany clients to doctors’ appointments and physical therapy sessions and support them during medical procedures
- Observe any changes in behavior and report to family or associated doctor
- Ensure the quality of life of clients by contributing to positive living environments
- Engage the elderly in physical and mental exercises and provide companionship during outdoor activities
- Assist elderly clients in and out of beds and to their desired place in and around the house or facility
- Change linen and ensure that rooms are aired out regularly
- Provide emotional support to distressed wards intending to encourage them to live positively
- Assist clients with walking and light exercises
- Respond quickly to emergencies by employing first aid and CPR practices