Bookkeeper Job Description
Bookkeeping is one of the essential aspects of any business. Keeping accounts in order and handling the financial details of a company is hard work!
Bookkeepers are hired to ensure that a company’s bookkeeping needs are appropriately managed and that all financial records are in order.
Bookkeepers who work for large corporations may be entrusted with overseeing its accounts on the whole; their work spans from handling day to day accounting information to managing complicated year-end reports.
Sample Duties for Bookkeeper Resume
- Verify, allocate, and post accounting transactions
- Reconcile entries to balance subsidiaries
- Maintain general ledgers by preparing a trial balance
- Prepare and maintain profit and loss, and income statements
- Develop and implement accounting systems to perform financial transactions
- Assist in defining and documenting bookkeeping procedures and policies for the company
- Collect, analyze and summarize account information and trends to prepare financial reports
- Handle sales invoices, receipts, and payments processing
- Prepare check extensions and write checks
- Ensure that all checks are signed and stamped before the issue
- Complete and file tax returns and inland revenue documentation
- Prepare cash flow statements and handle paperwork filing activities
- Deposit accounts receivable, and ensure that any payables are paid on time
- Complete records of receipts and post deposits
- Handle coding activities and identify any billing errors during the process
- Manage insurance-related information and ensure that any premiums are paid on time
- Assist auditors with annual and periodic auditing procedures
- Ensure that internal audits are carried out in a time-efficient manner
- Identify any accounting discrepancies with discretion
- Collect funds from clients and send reminders to clients in a bid to ensure that they pay on time
- Create and post daily revenue reports and handle new account enrollment duties
Bookkeeper Job Requirements
To work as a bookkeeper, you must have some background in accounting.
People who have a high school diploma at the very least are eligible for this position, but many employers prefer to hire individuals who have an associate’s degree in accounting or finance.
Bookkeeper Skills & Abilities
Working as a bookkeeper requires you to be detail-oriented as you will be handling complex calculations on a daily basis.
Your computer skills need also be above par as most of your work will be done on computers in accounting related software.
Recommended: Bookkeeper Cover Letter