Bookkeeping is one of the essential aspects of any business.
Keeping accounts in order and handling financial details of a company is hard work! Bookkeepers are hired to ensure that a company’s bookkeeping needs are properly managed and that all financial records are in order.
Bookkeepers who work for large corporations may be entrusted with overseeing its accounts on the whole; their work spans from handling day to day accounting information to managing complicated year-end reports.
To work as a bookkeeper, you must have some background in accounting. People who have a high school diploma at the very least are eligible for this position, but many employers prefer to hire individuals who have an associate’s degree in accounting or finance.
Working as a bookkeeper requires you to be detail-oriented as you will be handling complex calculations on a daily basis. Your computer skills need also be above par as most of your work will be done on computers in accounting related software.
Sample Job Description for Bookkeeper Resume
• Verify, allocate and post accounting transactions
• Reconcile entries to balance subsidiaries
• Maintain general ledgers by preparing a trial balance
• Prepare and maintain profit and loss, and income statements
• Develop and implement accounting systems to perform financial transactions
• Assist in defining and documenting bookkeeping procedures and policies for the company
• Collect, analyze and summarize account information and trends to prepare financial reports
• Handle sales invoices, receipts and payments processing
• Prepare check extensions and write checks
• Ensure that all checks are signed and stamped before the issue
• Complete and file tax returns and inland revenue documentation
• Prepare cash flow statements and handle paperwork filing activities
• Deposit accounts receivable, and ensure that any payables are paid on time
• Complete records of receipts and post deposits
• Handle coding activities and identify any billing errors during the process
• Manage insurance related information and ensure that any premiums are paid on time
• Assist auditors with annual and periodical auditing procedures
• Ensure that internal audits are carried out in a time efficient manner
• Identify any accounting discrepancies with discretion
• Collect funds from clients and send reminders to clients in a bid ensure that they pay on time
• Create and post daily revenue reports and handle new account enrollment duties
Last updated on