Working in retail is a rewarding job in many ways. It provides an individual with opportunities to work with new people everyday and earn money while having fun. There are a number of positions one can work on within the retail umbrella.
In order to get a job in retail industry, you need a targeted resume and a cover letter. Follow these guidelines when writing a cover letter for retail jobs.
Retail Cover Letter Dos
● Provide a complete contact information including cell number and email address
● Build a new and targeted cover letter for each employer and retail position
● Show that you are aware of the details of the job and what the prospective employer does
● Show that your interests and long-term are aligned with the retail position
● Make your points in a few words; every sentence should support your eagerness to contribute
● Proofread for typos and grammatical mistakes
● If you hear nothing from employer after 2 weeks, follow up with the HR department or hiring manager to reiterate your interest
● Sign before your name
Retail Cover Letter Don’ts
● Do not write a long and boring introduction
● Do not mention irrelevant skills and experiences
● Do not make it longer than one-page
● Do not explain what benefits you are expecting from employer
● Do not send the same cover letter to many employers
Look at the following sample that will assist you in understanding what kind of a covering letter employers expect from the candidates. This sample caters the needs of experienced as well as entry level candidates with no experience in hand.
957 Cinnibar Street SE
Salem, OR 10292
mwhite @ email . com
April 10, 2016
Mr. Donald Young
36 SE Pelton Ct
Salem, OR 66353
Dear Mr. Young:
I would like to be considered for the position of a Retail Customer Service Representative at K-Mart, as advertised in the Daily Classifieds. Utilizing my exceptional customer service skills and demonstrated product knowledge, I would be able to contribute significantly to your bottom line.
As indicated in the enclosed resume, I strive to create continuing customer relationships to increase sales and profitability. Particularly, I am adept at:
● Answering to customers in a prompt and courteous manner
● Providing quotations and pricing information to customers
● Performing indoor and outside marketing activities to boost sales
● Managing complaints
● Conducting customer follow-up calls
● Handling cash drawer and payments
My ability to motivate coworkers and inspire stakeholders has been commended many times by superiors. Above all, I have a demonstrated ability to work under stress for long periods of time especially during holidays.
I look forward to seeing you in the interview at the time of your convenience. In order to confirm the delivery of my application, I will contact your office after two weeks. Please feel free to call me at (006) 600-6776 if any additional information will be required.
Thank you for your time out to read my application. I anticipate meeting with you soon!