Content writers are responsible for writing a variety of unique material for websites, blogs, social media, online and newspaper/magazine articles.
They also assist marketing teams in the development of compelling content that can be used in marketing or advertising campaigns.
Not everyone can write good content.
Having said this, content writers are people who are usually not trained or degree holders but have an inherent love for writing.
As far as training is concerned, they are provided with information on certain types of content – for instance; a web article may not be written along with the same guidelines as one that will be printed in a magazine.
Story writing is another avenue that content writers work in.
While some content writers may be provided with ideas on what to write, many will have to think of storylines and work according to them.
But drumming up ideas and writing content is not all that content writers are responsible for.
There are many other duties that they perform between idea generation and actual writing.
See also: Content Writer Resume
Content Writer Job Description and Duties
• Research ideas and facts pertinent to the type of content/topic assigned
• Develop ideas derived from online/offline research and organize the same on paper or computer applications
• Sort out workable ideas by process of elimination and keep eliminated ideas stored for future reference
• Write fresh content based on research and brainstorming by following instructions provided for each type of document
• Develop engaging content for articles, blogs, stories, and social media to entice and engage the audience
• Proofread content for errors or additions and ensure that content is written per instructions
• Ensure that web page content is edited properly to increase on-screen readability
• Think up titles for each piece of content keeping appropriateness in check
• Copy, edit and proofread content created by other content writers to provide detailed feedback
• Ensure that content contains sufficient keywords for search engine optimization
• Manage user-generated content on social media sites
• Manage the company’s social media presence
• Write content for newspapers and magazines keeping in mind the general structure and sentiment of the readers
• Develop prototypes and storyboards using a multitude of media creation and graphics editing tools
• Rewrite, paraphrase or write content from scratch depending on specific instructions provided in the work order