There is one universal fact about resumes – they need fuel to run. This actually means that a resume which has little or irrelevant information, is hardly liked by professionals who look through them, hoping to find skilled individuals to hire. The keyword here is skilled. You can hire as many people as you want to but when it comes to training them, you will soon find out that you have made a mistake in hiring many of them – simply because they did not have the base skills that were required to do justice to the position that you were hoping to fill.
A skills section on a resume proves that an applicant has something good to offer. Employers specifically look for this section and upon not finding one, well, you can imagine their disappointment! And disappointment leads to lost chances for the applicant. Other parts of your resume, such as the contact information or even the part where you mention the job duties that you have performed in the past, may be overlooked by an employer – but a skills section is never ignored. In fact, an employer may actually be interested in what your name and contact information is after he sees that you have provided a list of your job-related skills.
Since each position requires a different set of skills, have a look at the following list of skills statements for a satellite installer:
• Highly experienced in conducting site survey to determine the best position for satellite service equipment
• Demonstrated expertise in placing mounts, satellite dishes and receivers while ensuring consistency of service
• Exceptionally well-versed in laying out complex cabling networks and ensuring that cables are properly pulled and grounded as per protocol
• Deeply familiar with selecting and installing satellite equipment according to the specific needs of each customer
• Effectively able to instruct / educate customers on using satellite equipment and repairing and maintaining it on a regular basis
• Exception customer service skills aimed at ensuring customer satisfaction for repeat business opportunities and referral
• Unmatched ability to design, install and maintain industry level satellite services and equipment
• Adept at ensuring signal strength according to industry standards, by performing detailed tuning activities
• Proficient in calculating costs and quotes for both residential and commercial properties based on the size and type of equipment required for each project
• Competent in performing troubleshooting and repairing activities to ensure that all faults are fixed in a timely manner, and to minimize downtime