A personal support worker or PSW assist people with disabilities and are unable to look after themselves.
PSWs are usually certified nursing assistants who work in people’s homes or healthcare facilities which may include retirement homes or sanitariums.
While people who work in this position at a private residence may work in an unregulated environment, care facilities ensure that all PSWs are adequately trained and possess the capability to provide emotional and physical support.
Personal support workers assist residents by ensuring that their basic hygiene needs are fulfilled so that they may lead dignified lives. They also support residents’ independence regarding medication and provide informal counseling when needed.
Only people with real mettle can do this job efficiently.
Below are some critical skills that a personal support worker will need to possess to be able to qualify for this job. These statements can be used effectively to make a PSW Resume.
Sample Skills for Personal Support Worker Resume
• Verifiable track record of providing personal care including bathing assistance, grooming, oral care and feeding the client
• Special talent for taking and recording vital signs – blood pressure, temperature, respiration, and pulse
• Able to turn and reposition clients to prevent skin breakdown
• Recognized for timely observing the client’s physical and emotional conditions
• Skilled in performing light housekeeping, preparing the meal, changing linens and making up the bed
• Proven ability to develop productive relationships with clients and staff
• Demonstrated ability to anticipate residents’ need and to strive to fulfill them
• Compassionate nature and positive attitude
• Able to work well under stress
• Excellence in oral and written communication
• Exceptional skills in organizing and prioritizing work
• Strong record-keeping skills
• Ability to apply critical thinking in emergency situations
• Known for staying calm in difficult situations
• CPR and First Aid Certified
• Excellent time and household management skills
• Ability to work calmly in difficult situations
• Computer: MS Word and MS Excel, Internet, Surfing, Email
• Current Driver’s license of the State of Texas
• Bilingual: English and Portuguese