One of the main operative areas of a resume is the skills section. While hiring managers are quite interested in what you have to offer in terms of experience and academics, they automatically zero in on the skills section, hoping to see something that will help them make quick hiring decisions.
Word of advice – if you want to help a hiring manager decide in your favor, you have to give him or her something to base his or her decision on. And the skills section is the best place for them to go to for this information.
Typically, the skills section comes right after the introductory part of your resume. As soon as you have finished writing the objective, it is time to decide what skills you should articulate. When you build up on your skills, it is imperative to make sure that you are keeping the hiring manager in your mind.
Take each requirement of the hiring manager one by one, and then compare it to what you have to offer. When you have a list of skills that are spot on with the requirements of the employer, you can easily come up with a detailed skills section for your resume.
However, you cannot just write skills verbatim as you have thought about them. They need to be placed in appropriate sentences to provide structure to them. Here are some samples:
Sample Skills for Floor Staff Resume
• Proven ability to create and maintain an effective bridge between frontend and backend restaurant operations to ensure delivery of exceptional services
• First-hand experience in providing menu suggestions to patrons, and ensuring that they are made aware of ingredients of their desired food item
• Actively determines patrons’ requirements for starters / appetizers and drinks and alcoholic beverages
• Effectively able to provide support to waiters and servers by efficiently relaying and following up on orders with the kitchen staff
• Deep comprehension of handling bussing and buffet table setting duties, ensuring that established protocols for both are followed appropriately
• Exceptionally talented in bussing carts, and ensuring that all tables have the right set of condiments
• Diligently operates point of sales (POS) system and processes credit card and cash payments
• Proficient in setting up tables in real time, ensuring that no table is left dirty or unset
• Adept at maintaining the dining room floor by ensuring that all cleaning and sanitation operations are carried out in a timely manner
Last updated on