Dishwasher Job Description
Restaurants, hotels, and cafeterias are popular employment places for dishwashers. Their prime responsibility is to gather and wash dishes when guests leave.
Although many people tend to think that dishwashers just wash dishes; in actuality, their duties extend well beyond this as they are required to perform many other jobs as well.
Many dishwashers are also entrusted with cleaning and maintenance duties around the kitchen.
They are required to clean and sanitize countertops and assist cooks in organizing the kitchen.
Also, they work as helping hands where sweeping floors is concerned and also help with maintaining equipment around the kitchen.
People who work as dishwashers are trained in handling operations of equipment such as dish-washing machines and microwaves.
While dishwashers are usually required to wash dishes using their hands, many establishments have industry sized machines that they need to operate and maintain regularly.
Once a dishwasher has washed dishes, he or she is required to ensure that they are dry and stacked in a neat manner.
Dishwashers also take out the garbage when they are not involved in dishwashing activities.
Related: Dishwasher Resume Sample
Dishwasher Duties and Responsibilities
• Collect soiled dishes from dining areas and transport them to the kitchen
• Ensure that soiled dishes are stacked properly so that they can be picked easily for washing purposes
• Mix liquid soap and ensure that sponges are properly immersed in the liquid
• Clean dishes and flatware with water in order to clear them of dirt
• Soap down dishes and ensure that they are rinsed properly
• Place washed dishware and flatware on drying racks
• Use drying cloth to dry dishes and flatware completely
• Load soap and water into dishwashers
• Place dishes appropriately in the dishwasher
• Switch the dishwasher on for the right amount of time and keep a watch on the timer
• Remove washed dishes from the dishwasher and make arrangements to dry them if needed
• Stack dishes properly in cupboards
• Maintain kitchen work areas and receive and store kitchen supplies
• Sweep kitchen floor and take the trash out
• Ensure that the kitchen floor is properly sanitized
• Perform preventative and regular maintenance on dishwashers and ovens
• Mop stockrooms and report any hazardous situations to the kitchen or maintenance manager
• Ensure that all dish cleaning equipment and supplies are stocked properly
• Assist kitchen staff with food preparation duties when needed
• Double as a waiter or sous chef during busy hours