Working in a warehouse is far from boring. It is true that you end up doing the same work every day but the variation within each duty can be quite interesting. A warehouse stocker performs much more than merely stacking items on shelves, as the designation suggests. There is an entire list of job duties that he has to perform if he wants to be eligible for a paycheck at the end of the month.
Warehouse stockers work at the backend – in storage areas. They receive deliveries directly from the truck and decide where the received items need to go. They check each and every item they receive to make sure that it conforms to quality standards and lead the process until the items are stored properly. In some instances, they also have to pull and pack orders.
To be eligible for a warehouse stocker position, you do not need more than a high school diploma. If you have had prior experience in order pulling, you will of course be able to understand the duties of a warehouse stocker easily. Working at this position does not mean that you will perform stocking duties only. It is also your job to ensure that the warehouse is kept clean and organized all the time.
Here is a list of duties that you will perform as a warehouse stocker on a typical day:
• Determine need for merchandise and coordinate efforts with procurement managers to ensure that they are acquired on time
• Assist in unloading deliveries from delivery trucks and transport them to examination pallets using forklifts
• Open each received box and unpack all items to examine them for defects or damages
• Count all received items to ensure that required quantity has been received
• Physically move all checked items to storage areas / shelves and place them using correct stacking techniques
• Make arrangements for items to be properly stacked on shelves by rearranging items to ensure appropriate space
• Label each item with its corresponding batch and item number and also place labels on shelves where they have been stored
• Perform minor repair and general and preventative maintenance on forklifts and jack pallets
• Handle inventory controls and ensure a constant supply of merchandise so that the frontend (store) can be services immediately
• Assist sales associates in stocking shelves at the front end by keeping in mind the four Ps of marketing
• Complete diary logs, produce corresponding reports and report any discrepancies