Forklift Driver Job Description
Working primarily in a warehouse capacity, forklift drivers perform many tasks by operating forklifts.
On a typical workday, forklift drivers load and unload materials onto pallets. It is their responsibility to make sure that they deliver materials in a safe and time-efficient manner, which is why many employers insist that forklift drivers obtain forklift certification before hiring them.
Forklift drivers work closely with order pullers to perform their job; they accompany order pullers and assist them by loading heavy materials onto their forklifts and delivering them to the shipment pallet.
Related: Forklift Driver Cover Letter Sample
Job Duties for Forklift Driver Resume
• Inspect forklift to ensure that it is in proper working order before each shift
• Operate forklifts to check levers and controls at the beginning of each shift
• Perform maintenance on forklifts on a regular basis to ensure correct working order
• Ensure that forklifts have sufficient fuel each day
• Confer with supervisors and order pullers to comprehend daily work tasks
• Accompany order pullers to storage areas and assist them in locating ordered items
• Calculate how to operate a forklift by keeping in mind the position of the item to be picked
• Load picked items from storage areas and stack them neatly on the forklift by keeping weight limitations in check
• Drive forklifts to designated parking areas and unload items
• Reload packed items onto forklifts and drive to the shipment or delivery pallets
• Unload items on the shipping or delivery pallets by following safety protocols
• Ensure item accuracy by referring to pulling orders and batch numbers
• Work with order pullers to ensure that the correct quantity of items has been picked and delivered
• Report any damaged items (or those damaged during the delivery procedure) to supervisors
• Keep appropriate records of inventory of items
• Ensure that items delivered to the shipment pallet are neatly stacked in the delivery vehicle
• Provide delivery truck drivers with item information and give safety instructions
Forklift Driver Job Eligibility Criteria
There is no formal education requirement for the position of a forklift driver, although some employers require high school diplomas at the very least.
Forklift Driver License and Training
An essential prerequisite for this position is a license to operate a forklift.
To become eligible for the position of a forklift driver, you need to pass a test to get licensed.
During training, you will be provided with instructions on using levers on a forklift and understanding the controls.