Substitute teachers are hired on both temporary and permanent basis. On a temporary basis, they are required to manage classrooms over a short period – usually when a lead teacher is away.
Some schools also hire substitute teachers on a permanent basis so that if at any time a lead teacher is unavailable, the substitute teacher can take her place. A substitute teacher is usually required to teach all subjects or at the very least know the basics of all.
Typically, a substitute teacher assists with classroom instruction in the absence of a lead teacher. While substituting, she performs all the jobs of a regular teacher including handling lessons and ensuring that classroom supplies are aplenty. It is also the job of a substitute teacher to ensure that regular classroom routines are followed, and discipline is maintained.
Sample Job Description for Substitute Teacher Resume
• Take instructions from school office and lead teacher about handling classroom instruction
• Read and understand curriculum and lesson plans
• Refer to the lesson plan left by lead teacher and ensure that appropriate measures are taken to follow it
• Ensure that classroom instruction is handled according to the school’s policies, goals and objectives
• Manage student behavior and classroom order
• Ensure that a climate of fairness and respect is promoted
• Take necessary actions and reasonable actions to ensure the safety of students, materials and school equipment
• Collect and correct students’ papers and assignments according to the procedures of the school
• Return corrected or graded papers to students and make sure that they understand the grading system
• Hand out instructional materials to students and make sure that they are handled with care
• Make sure that a non-discriminatory atmosphere is maintained in classrooms
• Lead extracurricular activities and ensure the safety and wellbeing of students in the outdoors
• Follow up on any instructions left for the lead teacher and ensure that they are followed appropriately
• Evacuate students from the class in an orderly manner
• Take responsibility of students who are picked up late and ensure their safety
• Create substitute teaching / instruction report at the end of each day and hand it to the principal
• Inquire if substitute services will be needed the next day and make appropriate arrangements for it
Last updated on