Hairdresser Job Description
Hairdressers use a variety of techniques to provide their clients with the desired color, texture, and style. They work at salons and spas where they offer a range of other skin and hair related services such as wig fitting and hair extensions.
One of the major duties of a hairdresser is to cut and trim clients’ hair so that they fit their face structures properly. They confer with clients to determine what their hairdressing needs are.
Additionally, they counsel clients on how they should groom their hair and even provide hairstyling tips that they can follow at home. Typically, hairdressers perform routine tasks such as shampooing, drying, and setting up stations during the first part of their training. Another major part of a hairdresser’s work is to operate the cash register so that payment can be managed for rendered services.
While many salons do have dedicated receptionists or cashiers who do this job, it is still essential to possess the knowledge of handling cash and managing simple accounting work.
See also: Hairdresser Resume Sample
Hairdresser Duties and Responsibilities
Customer Service and Communication
- Greet customers and inquire about their specific reasons for coming into a salon
- Confer with clients to understand their hairdressing and beauty needs
- Comprehend each client’s individual demands regarding hair and skin problems and attempt to devise solutions for them
- Advise clients about what they need in terms of hairstyling and skincare solutions
- Provide clients with information on prices and timeframes of each treatment and any package deals that they can benefit from
- Answer telephone calls and schedule appointments
Hairdressing and Styling
- Provide clients with information on what to expect during the hairdressing and styling process
- Cut and/or trim hair according to clients’ instructions and request their feedback
- Shampoo and dry hair before or after treatment and style it using brushes, hair irons, and combs
- Block, shape, and trim wigs and extensions according to each client’s specific instructions
- Style clients’ hair following the event that they need to attend
- Provide clients with hair treatments such as oiling, masking, and mudding
- Advise clients about what skin or hair care treatments they can employ at home to achieve good results
- Provide clients with information on common skin and hair problems
- Inquire if clients have any allergies to specific products such as ammonia or hair color
- Mix the appropriate amount of hair coloring or bleaching chemicals by following safe practices.
- Color and treat hair according to specific instructions provided by clients
- Advise clients on available skin treatments such as facials, cleansing, and polishing
- Coordinate the provision of skin treatments or perform them according to clients’ skin types
- Offer and give manicures and pedicures, massages and herbal hand and feet treatments
- Give clients information on beauty products available at the salon
- Promote and upsell retail products displayed at the salon
- Take cash and process credit card payments in exchange of services rendered
- Perform light bookkeeping duties
- Sweep floor after each hair cut
- Clean mirrors on a daily basis
- Disinfect hair styling equipment after each treatment