On the average, employers merely take 5-10 seconds to get an impression of the candidate after visually scanning the resume. Considering this scenario, following three golden rules must be kept in mind while drafting a resume for any position, including that of a bookseller:
Relevance: To grab the employer’s attention immediately, the most basic requirement is relevance.
Keywords: Industry specific keywords specially the ones used in the advertisement you are responding to count. Insert these in your resume and get noticed.
Format and Layout: To retain the attention of your reader, it is crucial to present your information in a clutter free and well organized manner.
Below is a well built bookseller resume sample for further guidance.
219 Heather Lane • Valdosta, GA 67221 • (005) 333-2222 • jim @ email . com
SUMMARY: Highly resourceful, result-driven bookseller who is a strong communicator with proven convincing power brings 6+ years of excellence in book selling.
✔ Effective skills in enquiry response and customer need identification
✔ Demonstrated ability to maintain an updated knowledge pool regarding latest releases
✔ Dynamic speaker and event manager with solid experience in organizing various book inaugurations
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|● Order Processing||● Referral Sales||● Book Reservations|
|● Clientele Enhancement||● Cashiering||● Publisher Correspondence|
|● EPOS Technology||● Budget Handling||● Personnel Management|
|● Digital Locating||● Shelf Stacking||● Inauguration Management|
Book Seller | BARNES & NOBLE, Valdosta | GA, 8/2011 to Present
Greet customers and help them finding what they are looking for. Provide them with updated information regarding various new book reviews and publishers. Ring all purchases in cash register, accepting payments in cash and credit cards. Update all computerized inventories in a timely manner.
• Led the bookstore effectively when digital media was at its peak and turned falling sales into profit by enhancing overall sales by 50%
• Organized and facilitated 30+ author event programs and attained the most popular book shop in Valdosta ranking as per the Reader’s Committee survey
Helper | BOOKS-A-MILLION, Valdosta, GA | 6/2008 to 7/2011
Maintained the book shop in neat and clean order and stacked all available books in categorized shelves. Explained discount cards system to customers and introduced latest best sellers. Filled in daily and weekly cycle count inventories regularly
• Devised a proper stacking pattern for books based on prescribed VMS (visual merchandising standards) which reduced time spent in locating books by 30%
COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Valdosta, GA, 2008
Associate of Arts in Human Services
• Multilingual: Fluent in English, Italian, French and Spanish
• Excellent physical stamina, ability to bend, stoop, climb ladders and carry up till 50 lbs