You know that short excerpt that marks the beginning of a police officer resume? It is called a resume summary. Most people erroneously believe that the resume summary is for experienced people. While it is the norm for experienced individuals to use resume summaries (entry level ones resort to using objectives), there is no rule to dictate that people who have just started out in the employment world cannot use them.
A resume summary serves everyone. Using one to start your entry level police officer resume is probably the best thing that you can do. The fact that your resume will be sparse owing to limited information that you can provide, should not be considered a problem. The summary will cover it. How potent are summaries when it comes to winning interview? Plenty. The work of a resume summary is manifold – it acts as an introduction and an agent to excite the employer into paying attention to what the rest of your resume has to say. Why wouldn’t one make good use of it?
Resume summaries are great connectors. They introduce you to the person reading your resume and make a solid impression of what you are capable of doing. Both these are important for an employer to gauge. If you are interested in knowing how you can write a good resume summary, have a look at the following samples:
• Highly competent and hardworking Police Officer with exceptional skills in conducting patrol duties both on foot and in vehicles. Special talent for operating a patrol ca, deterring criminal activity and promoting public safety. An approachable and pleasant individual who has a proven ability to provide a visible presence to deter crime and reassure community members.
• Dependable and perceptive Police Officer who has demonstrated abilities in responding to calls and requests from community members, and servicing them on the highest priority. An ambitious and competent individual with a great ability to diffuse hostile / volatile situations with due regard for the safety of involved participants.
• Trained police officer, known for acting with sensitivity when dealing with emergency situations. Exceptionally skilled in conducting initial investigations, gathering evidence and taking statements according to set procedures and protocols.
• Ambitious and determined individual with deep insight into performing dedicated police work by employing training in conducting investigations, interviewing suspects and witnesses, and gathering initial evidence. Proven ability to maintain law and order, protect people and property, enforce laws, and maintain good community relations.
• Law enforcement professional with proven proficiencies in interviewing suspected criminals, gathering prosecution evidence, patrolling assigned areas, and responding to emergencies while following strict codes of ethics, and defined protocols and police procedures.