Working as an intern in a legal environment is usually a prerequisite for law students who wish to complete their degrees.
An internship provides them with the real-life experience of working in an attorney’s office which is invaluable when it comes to finding work once a degree has been completed.
As part of your law degree program, you may be required to work as an intern at one or more places.
Before applying for a legal intern position, make sure that your resume is updated with the information that you know a prospective employer will look for.
This will include your competencies, skills, academic accomplishments (if any), and any other similar internships that you may have completed.
If you have been involved in any projects that are relevant to the legal internship that you are applying for, you must provide details.
Related: Legal Intern Cover Letter
Your resume should be limited to one page and should be completely relevant to the position you are applying for.
Avoid writing irrelevant information such as your hobbies and extracurricular activities as these do not have anything to do with your legal intern status.
Here is a sample legal intern resume that you may refer to.
Legal Intern Resume Example
38 Willow Street
Bainbridge Island, WA 28373
michelle.kg @ email . com
Energetic, and results-driven individual looking for a Legal Intern position with ABC COmpany. I offer knowledge of working in an administrative and research role within a legal environment. Well-versed in liaising with witnesses and clients, and deriving prudent information in accordance with legal procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree in Law
Washington State University, Bainbridge Island, WA (In progress)
• Familiar with legal terminology aimed at handling office correspondence and managing record-keeping activities.
• Able to work consistently within tight deadlines especially during the time of target crunches.
• Demonstrated knowledge of performing research work targeted at determining precedents and matching them with cases presently under the microscope.
• Comprehensive understanding of performing contract drafting activities with a special focus on statements of claims and summaries of disposition.
ACLU, Bainbridge Island, WA
6/2021 – 9/2021
• Assisted in the preparation of legal documents
• Provided support with trial monitoring
• Edited legal contracts and assisted in developing legal policies
• Conducted legal research on both state and federal levels
• Assisted in managing legal reviews arising from lawsuits and claims
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
– Legal Research
– Case Priorities
– Trial Monitoring
– Jurisprudential Trends
– Critical Thinking
– Contract Negotiation
– Problem Solving