Since the legal profession involves a lot of public dealing and judgment regarding people, HR managers in this profession are a bit difficult to impress. Stated simply, an ordinary resume will not earn an interview for an attorney position. It must be custom built to suit the needs of the employer.
Attorney Resume Tips
Following are some resume don’ts that will enable you to avoid the most common resume mistakes:
• Do not underline, highlight or shadow text and also avoid using any graphic features.
• Do not exaggerate your skills, employers are really smart.
• Do not mention personal bio-data like marital status or religious orientation.
• Do not include any negative information about your candidacy.
• Never fold or staple your resume, make sure the print is on a presentable and high quality paper.
• No colored prints, use white paper and black ink.
Below are attorney resume samples for your guidance.
| 450 Ivory Ave • Charlotte, NC 28001|
(004) 222 – 8888 • david @ email . com
Accomplished and versatile legal professional with a special expertise in the fields of corporate and civil law. Record of handling complex legal matters in a time-efficient manner. Documented success in addressing high risk legal situations timely and effectually. Skillful in legal counseling and advisory services. Extensive knowledge-base regarding legal practice, city ordinance and charter provisions. Results-driven approach in drafting and reviewing legal documents. Multistate licensure to practice law.
|● Client Representation||● Legal Advice||● Case Research|
|● Pre-Case Motions||● Dispute Resolution||● Court Hearings|
|● Ordinance Analysis||● Case Filing||● Evidence Compilation|
|● Litigation Evaluation||● Legal Terminology||● Case Review|
✔ Authored Memoranda for policy making based on investigative results from corporate business cases extending over a period of five years.
✔ Developed an Internal Auditing System which enhanced the efficiency of firm’s legal practice by 60%.
✔ Earned the ‘Most Talented Attorney’ award in 2013 from the American Association of Law.
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, Charlotte, NC
Attorney, 10/2012 to Present
● Evaluate court validity of various documents including bankruptcy clauses, regulatory disclosures, right provisions and the like.
● File cases for court proceedings after extensive legal research and interaction with clients and third party representative.
● Formulate court pleadings, memoranda and briefs for case hearing.
DAVIS WRIGHT LLP, Charlotte, NC
Paralegal, 4/2007 to 9/2012
● Drafted correspondences and case file documents for court use.
● Facilitated research of assigned cases.
● Analyzed witnesses and evidence and verified the same.
DH LAW COLLGE, Charlotte, NC, 2007
Bachelor’s in Corporate Law
• Proficient in various PC and software operations
900 Soundview Lane | New Canaan, CT 99999 | (047) 999-9999 | Email
OBJECTIVE: To obtain an Attorney position with ABC Legal Services utilizing expertise in managing complex criminal cases.
• Six years of functional knowledge of working as an attorney
• Highly skilled in handling a variety of legal assignments and projects
• In depth knowledge of conducting legal research and assisting senior attorneys
• Hands on experience handling moderate to complex negotiations in and out of court
• Substantial legal public protection, prosecution and trial experience
• Excellent knowledge of legal terminology
• Strong written and oral advocacy skills
• In depth knowledge of federal laws a policies
• Demonstrated familiarity with the rules of evidence and civil discovery
• Researched information on a case for which no precedents could be found and managed to apply that information towards the success of the trial.
• Wrote a manual on researching precedents and their application on modern legal cases.
Feb 2007 – Dec 2012
Boxed Attorneys – New Canaan, CT
• Negotiated, drafted and reviewed contracts
• Reviewed subpoenas and responded to third party requests for documentation
• Conducted comprehensive research on legal cases
• Advised clients regarding legal rights and obligations
• Interpreted laws and regulations for clients
• Presented cases in courts of law
• Gathered evidence for / against as and when required
• Formulated defense and initial legal actions
L.L.B – New Canaan Law School, New Canaan, CT – 2006