Lab Assistant Job Scope
Lab assistants are also called laboratory technicians and are an important part of laboratory. They analyze clinical data while working in labs inside hospitals, clinics and other healthcare facilities. These professionals prepare laboratory specimens and are expected to collect and test blood and urine samples. They do preliminary work for pathologists by cutting and staining tissue specimens so that the pathologist can evaluate the sample and provide a report. Lab assistants are required to follow established procedures for performing a variety of test which may be physical, chemical or biological in nature.
The job of a lab assistant does not end at preparing samples as there is a huge amount of clerical work as well, that they are expected to perform. They manage lab equipment and prepare compounds and other solutions along with performing research activities. In an animal lab, a lab assistant will be expected to look after the animals by observing conditions and reporting developments.
The position of a lab assistant poses many challenges because the nature of their job exposes them to different situations within a workday. Lab assistants can be very accomplished people as they work with so many different possibilities each day.
Let us look at some of the accomplishment statements that might be useful in a lab assistant resume:
Lab Assistant Achievement Statements for Resume
• Streamlined laboratory procedures 30% by managing a helpful inventory system for supplies and equipment
• Published an article on blood disease testing procedures and the impact of advanced testing technology on facilitating the procedure
• Provided courier phlebotomy services to off-site locations which increased revenue by 30%
• Attained Best Lab Assistant Award in 2010 following quality in managing core lab procedures and meeting deadlines continuously
• Achieved success in providing closure to an extremely complex blood test by employing insight and relevant electrophoresis knowledge
• Performed moderately complex testing in a way that maintained high quality patient care
• Assisted in general lab and clerical duties which increased efficiency by 40%
• Trained 10 entry level lab assistants
• Redesigned and implemented a more effective testing procedure on animals which provides for a safe environment for them