Medical lab assistants, laboratory technicians, or technologists are an integral part of the laboratory. They analyze clinical data in labs inside hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities. These professionals prepare laboratory specimens and are expected to collect and test blood and urine samples.
The position of a lab assistant poses many challenges because the nature of their job exposes them to different situations within a workday. Lab assistants can be very accomplished people as they work with so many different possibilities each day.
Let us take a look at some of the accomplishment statements that will be useful in building a lab assistant resume:
Accomplishments and Achievements for a Medical Laboratory Assistant, Technician and Technologist
- Initiated the 5-S system for sorting out and reorganizing equipment, decreased searching time by 50%.
- Streamlined laboratory procedures 30% by managing an effective inventory system for supplies and equipment.
- Used Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to manage 40+ patient samples per day.
- Published an article on blood disease testing procedures and the impact of advanced testing technology on facilitating the procedure.
- Provided courier phlebotomy services to off-site locations which increased revenue by 20%.
- Effectively cleaned diagnostic equipment, reducing maintenance costs by $5000 per year.
- Made the most of workflow automation features, increasing overall efficiency by 15%.
- Created 100% error-free documentation for 3 years.
- Introduced a FIFO reagent storing system, reducing waste by 23%.
- Worked directly with clinicians to provide clear information beyond documentation.
- Pioneered a Total Productive Maintenance regimen that decreased equipment downtime chances from 5% to 0%.
- Attained Best Lab Assistant Award in 2019 following quality in managing core lab procedures and meeting deadlines continuously.
- Achieved success in providing closure to an extremely complex blood test employing insight and relevant electrophoresis knowledge.
- Performed moderately complex testing in a way that maintained high-quality patient care.
- Assisted in the general lab and clerical duties, increasing overall efficiency by 40%.
- Trained 10 entry-level lab assistants.
- Redesigned and implemented a more effective testing procedure on animals which provides for a safe environment for them.
Additional Position Information
Lab Assistants, Technicians, and Technologists do preliminary work for pathologists by cutting and staining tissue specimens so that the pathologist can evaluate the example and provide a report. They are required to follow established procedures for performing a variety of tests which may be physical, chemical, or biological.
The job of a lab assistant or medical laboratory technicians does not end at preparing samples as there is a considerable amount of clerical work as well, that they are expected to perform.
They manage lab equipment and prepare compounds and other solutions along with performing research activities. In an animal lab, a lab assistant will be expected to look after the animals by observing conditions and reporting developments.