Grocery Store Stocker Position Overview
Grocery stores are probably one of the busiest places in the world, with a high demand for exceptional customer services.
It is no wonder that people hired as grocery store stockers are required to uphold a high standard of service – expectations from stockers in grocery stores are enormous!
But what exactly it is that a grocery store stocker does? Like all other stockers, grocery store stockers are required to handle stocking and maintenance activities within a grocery store.
To work in this position, you may not need more than a high school diploma but it is important for you to possess great attention to detail, as you will need to read labels correctly and communicate well with customers many times.
Since you will be responsible for making sure that customers have access to the items they want, you will need to make sure that shelves are always well-stocked, in accordance with the 4 Ps of marketing.
As a grocery store stocker, you will be specifically trained to work in the environment that you will be hired for, but you do need to make sure that you possess good organizational skills, to make the training process easier.
Here is what you will be doing on a typical day as a grocery store stocker:
Sample Job Duties to Use in a Grocery Store Stocker Resume
- Check all shelves within the grocery store to ensure that they are well-stocked at all times.
- Monitor grocery items and ensure that they are properly labeled with price tags.
- Maintain inventory of all grocery items and provide feedback to managers in case of low stocks.
- Receive grocery items from delivery trucks and make sure that each item is accounted for.
- Count items and boxes to make sure that they are in accordance with the specified orders made to suppliers.
- Carry grocery items to the front end (the store) and place them on shelves by following set company policies.
- Ensure that each item is properly placed, with pricing and expiry information visible.
- Dust and clean shelves on a regular basis to maintain the look of the store.
- Report any damages or near expiry items to the supervisor and ensure that they are removed from shelves immediately.
- Assist customers in locating their choices of products and provide the information asked for.
- Lead customers through the purchasing process by ensuring that the payment and bagging process is made easy for them.
- Assist with visual merchandising efforts by providing support to the merchandising team in setting up and maintaining visual merchandising displays.