As a part of the customer service team in a supermarket environment, a grocery clerk ensures that the grocery area of a supermarket is well-maintained.
Grocery clerks are the first point of contact for customers and provide them with information and assistance in buying their groceries.
Apart from assisting customers with their shopping, grocery clerks are also responsible for stocking and rotating merchandise in a supermarket.
Grocery clerks are jacks-of-all-trades; they pack and unpack items, label boxes, stock them properly on shelves and ensure there is enough stock displayed.
They also make sure that any damaged products are returned to the storeroom after being labeled as damaged. Additionally, a grocery clerk must control inventory and inform procurement managers of low inventory levels.
Specifically, grocery clerks are hired to look after the needs of shoppers. They greet customers, provide them with item location information and also escort them to the right aisle in a bid to help them find their product.
They may also be required to provide grocery information services; customers often ask grocery clerks about grocery items alternatives, and they have to provide them with this information.
To understand what grocery clerks do on a broader level, have a look at the following list of duties for a grocery clerk position.
See also: Grocery Clerk Cover Letter
This job description can be utilized to prepare the experience and accomplishments section of your resume.
Sample Job Description for Grocery Clerk Resume
• Greet customers as they arrive in the grocery section of the supermarket.
• Inquire about customers’ needs and assist them in making purchases.
• Guide customers to the right aisle or shelve in order to help with purchasing activities.
• Provide grocery related information to customers.
• Ensure that all shelves are adequately stocked with the right items.
• Make sure that all shelves and items are dusted and neatly arranged.
• Handle inventory control procedures by ensuring proper inventory levels.
• Order any out of stock products on an immediate basis.
• Transport grocery items to shelves and check for expiry dates.
• Make sure that any expired items are discarded and near expiry ones are put on special promotions.
• Assist customers in retrieving items from the back of shelves or high places.
• Retrieve products from the stock room on request.
• Ensure that damaged or spoiled grocery items are taken care of according to the policies of the company.
• Handle cataloging and invoice coding activities.
• Receive grocery items delivery and ensure that both order and invoice is accurate.
• Perform cleanliness and maintenance tasks around the grocery section.