A hardlines team member is typically a sales individual who works in the “hard” part of a retail establishment – typically an area within the store that is tiled, as opposed to being covered with a carpet. The purpose of separating hardlines from softlines is to be able to easily decipher the physical position of a team or a team member, within a large concern.
Working as a hardline team member, you may be asked to perform a number of duties, according to your specific talents and experience. You may work as a sales representative or perform an amalgamation of sales and cashiering work. Working as a hardlines team member will require you to possess a high school diploma at the very least, along with extensive knowledge of the particular area where you are stationed. So if the hardlines in your place of employment consist of the electronics section, it will be your duty to make sure that you know everything about all items being sold, so that demonstrations can be easily handled.
The work of a hardlines team member also includes handling stocking duties and managing item rotation work. If you have had some experience working in a large retail environment (even if it wasn’t a hardlines job), you will be considered a great choice to hire. If this is the type of work that you are looking for, referring to the following list of duties that a hardlines team member performs may come in handy:
• Greet customers as they enter the hardlines section of the store and inquire into how they would like to be assisted
• Assist customers in locating their items of choice by providing directions or pulling products out for them
• Provide customers with information on their required items and perform demonstrations where necessary
• Assist customers in determining prices and make them aware of any discounts or special promotions associated with their chosen items
• Determine customers’ specific requirements for wrapping and / or packing their purchases and lead them to the cash counter
• Assist cashiers in scanning and packing / wrapping purchases and processing cash and credit card transactions
• Handle concerns and complaints in a proactive manner, and escalate any serious complaints to the hardlines manager
• Create and maintain effective liaison between frontend and backend areas to ensure timely and accurate delivery of merchandise
• Perform shelf stocking and rotating duties and inform hardlines manager of any discrepancies in products or problems with supply