Writing an effective cover letter is perhaps the most critical part of your job application because it sets the very first impression.
In fact, you are marketing yourself, your skills and capabilities.
If the prospective employer will find something unique and sparking about you it will make her satisfied to call you for an interview – it is your cover letter that has to grab her attention.
To create an executive cover letter for your resume, you have to keep certain things in your mind when writing it.
Some critical pointers regarding effective cover letters
1. Don’t repeat what is already written on your resume. It will just waste the reader’s time and he or she will know it and get irritated;
2. Say how you learned of the vacancy;
3. Show personal interest in the company, and the advertised job. This will show that you’ve done your homework and are interested in the work the company does;
4. Write why you are the right candidate for the job – highlight relevant achievements;
5. What are your most attractive traits as a professional? Write them down; you need to individualize yourself so that the reader will remember you;
6. Always be careful that there are no grammatical mistakes or typos in your letter. There’s nothing more annoying than reading a letter from a careless candidate!
7. Don’t make your cover letter for too long. Working people are busy people, and long cover letters tend to end up in the dustbin more often than not. Three or four paragraphs of four or five lines each should be enough;
8. Be careful about the closing; make it a strong one. You need to reiterate, in a sentence or so, why you’re the right person for the job. Invite the prospective employer to contact you. Be sure you’ve given your contact details!
9. The tone of your cover letter. Don’t make it overly passive or aggressive – a good businesslike tone is always the best.
If you are searching for effective and ready-made cover letter sample for your resume, search our website because it contains tons of sample resumes, and cover letters for each profession.