The general security and health of every employee within an organization hold great importance to the higher management.
Health and safety coordinators are responsible for ensuring the safety of personnel within an organization.
Common duties include performing inspections of the premises, creating awareness of potential threats and investigating the accident.
They also work together with other members of the department to build and implement appropriate safety plans and educate employees in working in a safe manner.
As part of their work, these professionals ensure that all employees comply with the company’s health and safety legislation.
They develop and deliver health and safety workshops and also provide appropriate advice to employees. Also, they make sure that hazardous materials are removed and that employees are made aware of the potential dangers of their work process, especially in a factory environment.
Some major duties of a health and safety coordinator include:
Health and Safety Coordinator Job Description
• Work together with the higher management to develop policies and programs at managing the health and safety of employees
• Create safety procedures and ensure that they work towards abating workplace hazards
• Conduct safety audits for air, water and material wastes
• Identify priorities of for potential hazards and ensure that the company is progressing towards this aim
• Perform accident investigations and track injuries
• Design and implement safety procedures in accordance to the company’s policies
• Assist with administration of health and safety policies
• Ensure that employees are complying with the company’s safety policies and are working in accordance to the procedures
• Carry out health and safety trainings for the benefit of employees
• Design and implement safety and health mock sessions
• Inspect buildings and facilities to ensure that they comply with the company’s safety policies
• Conduct pre-employment and post-accident screen
• Develop and file safety and health correspondence
• Identify and evaluate risky conditions and work towards making them safe
• Provide advice and counseling for compliance regulations
• Assist in new employee orientation programs
• Compile and investigate accidents and ensure that proper reporting tasks are carried out
• Handle overall administration of workers compensation programs
• Revise safety regulations as and when needed
• Ensure that safety supplies and training items are purchased in a timely manner
• Investigate and attend tribunals and court hearings for occupational health and safety cases