A short-order cook is required to prepare quick meals as per the order requirements. Though restaurants also hire short-order cooks, the position is more demanded at hospitals or school cafeteria settings.
Similar to all other cooks, a short order cook is required to perform other odd jobs associated with cooking including dishwashing, cleaning the workplace, and storing leftover food hygienically.
Though the position may sound a simple one, building a resume for the same is not a piece of cake.
One needs to pay special attention to the manner in which responsibilities held in the previous role are stated.
Just enlisting what you did isn’t enough.
You need to start your bullet points with strong action words that describe what you achieved for the company you worked at.
Sample Resume for Short Order Cook Position
5422 Franklin Street, Richmond, VA 87999
sophia @ email . com
SHORT ORDER COOK
Self-motivated, industrious culinary professional with extensive experience in maintaining kitchen workstations to catering to the dietary needs of customers. Proven ability to follow detailed instructions while complying with applicable health policies.
ACHIEVEMENTS & PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS
- Validated an automated order taking a system that catered for all dietary preferences and requirements and conveyed the patient’s order in detail beforehand allowing more time to make necessary alterations in the recipe
- Introduced innovative fried banana and peanut butter open sandwiches which were much appreciated for their nutritious value and wholesomeness and are an integral part of the cafeteria’s menu till date
Short Order Cook | 2012 – Present
Sunny Hospital, Richmond, VA
• Coordinate with nurses regarding special dietary requirements of patients
• Interpret recipes and make amendments in the same to replace certain ingredients with the ones suitable for patients
• Clean the work area properly
• Wash all dishes and utensils, sterilize if needed
Cafeteria Cook | 2010 – 2012
St. Mary’s Boarding School, Richmond, VA
• Prepared snacks and cook quick meals for the students
• Carried out prep tasks before lunch and dinner hours
• Maintained stock inventory
• Served warm meals and collected payments
Associate’s Degree in Culinary Arts | December 2011
Fine Dining Institute, Richmond, VA
– Food preparation
– Quality control
– Customer service
– Records maintenance
– Rules compliance
– Food storage
– Safety standards
– Equipment maintenance
• Well versed with HACCP Procedures
• Working knowledge of kitchen based electrical equipment
• Bilingual (Spanish and English)